Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on Rear Brake Job (drums) and Master Cylinder Replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on Rear Brake Job (drums) and Master Cylinder Replacement.

Doing the rear brakes on my mom's 93 Bonneville. Never done Drums before, only disc so far. I have been told to take a picture before I start and put it on the way I took them off. Basically in reverse order. I will be replacing both rear wheel cylinders as well. All the vids and post I read seems like everyone has their own way of doing it.

Should I do the master cylinder first or last?
    The car does have abs. Does that change the anything as far as procedures?
    When bleeding the brakes is there a particular order I need to do them in?

I plan on priming the new master cylinder before installing it.

If I don't touch the front brakes, do I need to bleed them still?

Back in the mid 90's when I was a mechanics assistant, I would pump the brakes x3 and hold, while he opened each bleeder. Is that a good method? How many times should I repeat the pumping and bleeding for each bleeder?

I'm sorry, my mom is very poor and can't afford to pay anyone to do this and I can't let her drive around anymore with the car in this condition.

As always, thanks in advance for any and all help.

There is nothing to it man, drums are pretty easy to do if you have even a little mechanical knowledge. As far as bleeding them, I have always started with the farthest away from the MC. I'll be able to give you a hand if you live near joshua..

Comment

buy the hardware kit(springs,pins,clips,etc) it's usually pretty cheap. It's a lot easier if you have the right tools to remove/install the springs.

Comment

Originally posted by sdun View Post
        buy the hardware kit(springs,pins,clips,etc) it's usually pretty cheap. It's a lot easier if you have the right tools to remove/install the springs.

THIS, THIS, THIS!! what ever you do, do not try to remove/install the springs the old school way (with a pair of needle nose pliers)...one fucking slip and you can literally jam those pliers up your nose. I was just lucky and grateful it wasn't a gouge on my face or an eye.

Comment

man i can't can't this w shape hook thingy back on that holds the shoes from the bottom up.

what i'm talking about is at the 1:30 mark of this video below.
          [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT-RMwxBC0E[/ame]

anyone with experience in this kind of drums and shoes? thanks

Comment

Did you buy a whole new spring set?
            If so.make sure you use the springs in the correct positions. Make sure they are yhr same length as the old set.

Comment

Working...
            X