Sequential vs Waste Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sequential vs Waste Fire

I am running waste spark right now with LSx coils. The new Holley system I am thinking about switching to offers both, waste spark and sequential. It got me thinking about the benifits to each.

Wasted Spark vs Sequential, debate and discuss.

The car is my turbo, E85 running up to 20#s and with the rpms staying below 7,000.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Subscribing...

Btw, who is up at this ridiculous hour?

Keith, you get a pass, being in a foreign country.
    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
    86 SVO - Sold
    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
      Subscribing...

Btw, who is up at this ridiculous hour?

Keith, you get a pass, being in a foreign country.
      2:30p, GMT +4.5hrs or 1430L how ever you want to look at it.

Comment

Im assuming you are batch firing the injectors? Batch/bank to bank usually makes more power due to back side of intake valve getting sprayed.
        pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
          Im assuming you are batch firing the injectors? Batch/bank to bank usually makes more power due to back side of intake valve getting sprayed.
          I can sequential or batch the injectors. Complete adjustability and more in sequential settings.

Comment

I know there's more to it than what I'm about to say - but you lose some spark control features on the wasted spark design because of the coils being paired and not having their own igniter per coil. (at least in megasquirt land you do).

Comment

Isn't it pretty much related to the dwell time that you can gain with sequential? With wasted spark, you are firing the coil 2x more, therefore you reduce the dwell time at higher RPM, and are also increasing the load on the coil. Sequential should provide more dwell time at higher RPMS and reduce the loading on the coils as they only fire when they need to.

Comment

Some systems you can set ignition timing curves per cylinder. Don't think you have that option with a WS setup.

Comment

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
                  Some systems you can set ignition timing curves per cylinder. Don't think you have that option with a WS setup.
                  This.

Wasted spark uses 4 coil drivers in the ECU to command 2 cylinders each. Therefore, any individual cylinder timing you command will command two cylinders instead of individually.

The Holley offers sequential in their ECU for injectors and coil drivers but the only coils they offer to match the system as PnP are waste spark.

But I hear that wasted spark is more emissions friendly.

Comment

Working...
                  X