88 Mustang SD cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 Mustang SD cam

I'm doing a budget build on a stock motor (a future replacement for the gt headed 351 in the boat now), and I would like to use a stock cam. The motor is a 351 F4TE, GT40 heads, the pistons are KB hypers.

I don't have to put it together anytime soon, but in trying to track down the spider & dog bones, it was cheaper just to buy the entire long block out of an 88 mustang.

Of course, I don't have to pull the cam out of this motor; it would be easier if I didn't, but since I will have it, I thought I'd ask.

Is there any cam profile difference in this cam vs a newer mustang (89-93) cam, and how would these cams compare to a cam from a 95-96-97 truck motor? Obscure comparisons, I know, but thanks in advance for any insight.
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

there is no difference. the 302 i put in my 88 didn't have a cam in it, but the guy gave me one. he said it came out of a 94 model. when i still worked for ford, i looked into it and it was the same cam used then. it is in my car now and not having any problems.

Comment

When it comes to stock cams. No two are the same.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
        When it comes to stock cams. No two are the same.
        the Ford part #'s were the same from 87-95 for a GT. but i know what you are saying.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. If anyone has a pro-tip for installing it in a 351 (2500# boat) except to tell me to degree it ...
          Last edited by barronj; 06-04-2013, 11:37 AM.
          Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Just use some assembly lube, and throw on the cam sprocket and slide it in, don't drop it on a cam bearing.

Comment

And I know that people that use mustang cams in trucks, they complain of lost low end. But I'm not sure how that works with a 302 cam in a 351. I was thinking advance it a few degrees if you want it to come in down low or retard it to bring it up.

Comment

Just use some assembly lube, and throw on the cam sprocket and slide it in, don't drop it on a cam bearing.
                [ ] what I was talking about

I have a cam install handle that I've built; I'm extremely careful not to knick a cam bearing.

And I know that people that use mustang cams in trucks, they complain of lost low end. But I'm not sure how that works with a 302 cam in a 351. I was thinking advance it a few degrees if you want it to come in down low or retard it to bring it up.
                [x] what I was talking about

Thanks

Comment

I dont really know what a boat wants, low end torque or high end horsepower?

If it needs low end, an explorer cam would make more.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I'd advance it since the motor will most likely be higher rpm and then you don't have to worry about cavitating the prop with a ton of torque.
                    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                      I'd advance it since the motor will most likely be higher rpm and then you don't have to worry about cavitating the prop with a ton of torque.
                      And it would have more grunt before 3000rpm.

I'm a boat noob, all I know is when I used to try and wake board that bitch was wrapped out the entire time, 5000ish.

Depends on what you're doing I guess. The h.o. cam is a pretty decent cam in car. I made almost 300trq with mine, stock 302, around 3200rpm.

Comment

It's a wakeboard boat, by design, for its era. Mastercraft 205 Prostar, says something about wakeboard edition on the back of it. I'm the only person who will wakeboard on it for the foreseeable future. Kids will tube on it, someone will learn to ski on it. We limit out at 5 adults. Mostly cruise, never RPM above 3500 for sustained periods. With 20 miles of narrow lake, it's too choppy for this style of boat to blast up & down it.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                        X