No announcement yet.

Modding a stock 1997 Mustang gt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

goal is pretty simple, to make it slightly more enjoyable. Do not really care if X motor can kick Y motors ass. It is an extra car, if i wanted a track car i would build a track car. Just want to open it up a little more with the top down and enjoy the weekend cruiser while i still have it. Unless I trade or move it.
    Last edited by zachary; 07-14-2013, 08:04 PM.

Comment

well slap a blower on it, supporting mods and call it a day, that will make you simile for alittle bit

Comment

Originally posted by musclestang89 View Post
        well slap a blower on it, supporting mods and call it a day, that will make you simile for alittle bit
        Would be fairly easy, how many pounds can a stock bottom ended 136000 mile car take? haha not much i assume

Comment

or just put some nitrous to it. would be alittle cheaper

it could take enough to make you happy about it. lol

Comment

sell it and buy a Z28
            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by zachary View Post
              SHORT of doing a full motor swap is what I am thinking. May start with the intake and exhaust. With that intake is it just bolt on or are there other things to switch out as well?
              Listen to Tali. 4.10s and be DONE.

I have beat 2 other mach 1s with full exhaust, intake, tune, and a couple other simple "bolt ons". All I have are gears, and catback (which does nothing). I don't rip on my car either (and I drive on 245s).

Just 4.10s. There is no need to waste your money on other crap.
              Originally posted by Buzzo
              Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jigga What? View Post
                5.3 ls motor and done
                You post this in damn near every thread that someone asks about upgrades. While I don't disagree with the statement and think the LS engine line is a great starting point, I have to ask, have you ever swapped an LS into anything it didn't come factory in?

It's a lot of work for the average guy. While I understand there is a lot of info and parts out there to facilitate the swap, it is still one hell of an undertaking. In complete stock form from a truck, there is an intake swap, potential conversion if it's a drive by wire setup, exhaust modifying, the a/c presents a whole other list of challenges (in texas I consider A/c to be pretty damn important weekend car or not), Adapting a factory harness, or the expense of an aftermarket, modifying the fuel system, and that's all the big basic stuff I can think of.

It's damn easy to say ls and done, but actually pulling it off is a whole other story. I've not done it in a mustang, my only experience was with a GM crate setup that was carbed that a friend and I swapped in place of a tbi 350 in a 70 chevy SWB. I do auto repair for a living and have the last 16 years and I can assure you it presents it's own list of challenges I don't encounter too often.

TO the OP,

as stated previously gears will net the best bang for the buck. They will help you utilize the little bit of power that's already there. 4.10's would be a great street gear, the t45 has such a tall overdrive step you can bang 1-4 and grab 5th with some nice low cruising rpms at highway speeds. I had a 97, I went with 4.30 because I originally planned a 70 hp dry shot of nitrous and liked the way the 4.30's felt on a buddies setup. In the end I had and offroad x pipe, catback, 4.30's, Little Novi 1000 pullied making 12 psi non intercooled, homemade Powerpipe, injectors rather than fmu, and a tune. Car made a safe tuned 310rwhp and 330 rwtq. It was no power house but it was fun on the street. A 3.73 or 3.90 gear would have been a little better suited.
                Last edited by shumpertdavid; 07-15-2013, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Walk away. All a '97 GT is ever going to do is 'sound good.' Making one fast is a HUGE investment in money and time, so spend that effort on something you really want.
                  When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                    Walk away. All a '97 GT is ever going to do is 'sound good.' Making one fast is a HUGE investment in money and time, so spend that effort on something you really want.
                    I really liked my 98. It was a fantastic daily driver, but I knew it wouldn't be more unless I literally poured money into it. I had gears, exhaust and suspension. Mileage was decent and it did fine on the street. I thought about sticking an SVO blower on it because I liked the tq profile, but even then, I would have had a 300rwhp blower car that may have run with an F-body.

Comment

at a minimum at least get some kind of aftermarket mid-pipe. don't those cars have 6 cats on them from the factory?
                      2011 Mustang GT
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KungFuHamster View Post
                        at a minimum at least get some kind of aftermarket mid-pipe. don't those cars have 6 cats on them from the factory?
                        I am thinking I will drop it off get full exhaust and some gears done.

Comment

Save up and go turbo. Everything else is a waste of money on a 2v

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                            You post this in damn near every thread that someone asks about upgrades. While I don't disagree with the statement and think the LS engine line is a great starting point, I have to ask, have you ever swapped an LS into anything it didn't come factory in?

It's a lot of work for the average guy. While I understand there is a lot of info and parts out there to facilitate the swap, it is still one hell of an undertaking. In complete stock form from a truck, there is an intake swap, potential conversion if it's a drive by wire setup, exhaust modifying, the a/c presents a whole other list of challenges (in texas I consider A/c to be pretty damn important weekend car or not), Adapting a factory harness, or the expense of an aftermarket, modifying the fuel system, and that's all the big basic stuff I can think of.

It's damn easy to say ls and done, but actually pulling it off is a whole other story. I've not done it in a mustang, my only experience was with a GM crate setup that was carbed that a friend and I swapped in place of a tbi 350 in a 70 chevy SWB. I do auto repair for a living and have the last 16 years and I can assure you it presents it's own list of challenges I don't encounter too often.

TO the OP,

as stated previously gears will net the best bang for the buck. They will help you utilize the little bit of power that's already there. 4.10's would be a great street gear, the t45 has such a tall overdrive step you can bang 1-4 and grab 5th with some nice low cruising rpms at highway speeds. I had a 97, I went with 4.30 because I originally planned a 70 hp dry shot of nitrous and liked the way the 4.30's felt on a buddies setup. In the end I had and offroad x pipe, catback, 4.30's, Little Novi 1000 pullied making 12 psi non intercooled, homemade Powerpipe, injectors rather than fmu, and a tune. Car made a safe tuned 310rwhp and 330 rwtq. It was no power house but it was fun on the street. A 3.73 or 3.90 gear would have been a little better suited.
                            i know fully well, i've been building an lsx 63 c10 for the last 6 years, and am just now getting around to buying the motor.. all the parts are here.. that took the longest time to get a hold of.. if you wanna build cars you gotta have patience, ask feldman!
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Working...
                            X