Dodge Diesel manual tranny questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge Diesel manual tranny questions?

So, I bought an 08 6.7 back in March and love it. it has the G56 6 spd and I like the lightness of the clutch pedal and the notchiness of the shifter. Truck has 67k miles on it.

We bought a VERY nice 04.5 3500 this past weekend and the clutch pedal is significantly heavier. I don't remember my old 04.5 being that heavy but it might have been.

We are already considering the SB3250 DD clutch kits for both trucks but I am reading where the NV5600 setups don't require hydraulics upgrades, and all the G56 kits are paired with hydraulics. Seems it should be the other way around? Is the stiff pedal an indication it's going to go soon? It's got a 123k miles on the 5.9....

I've been surfing around DTR a little and get lost in all the opinions. Was going to call south bend today for some advice, but got sidetracked with work.

Anyone have any experience with these...Forrest or Sean?

thanks!

Be very careful upgrading the clutch on the G56. I know several people that have went to an after market clutch set up and it rattles the transmission like a mother fucker. The entire casing being aluminum doesn't help muffle the noise.

Comment

you just have to buy the right clutch... SBC and Valair both offer quiet dual disk setups now
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
        you just have to buy the right clutch... SBC and Valair both offer quiet dual disk setups now
        Not worried about a little extra noise, mostly trying to figure out how to get the clutch pedal effort to go down a bit. wife has to drive this thing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
          Not worried about a little extra noise, mostly trying to figure out how to get the clutch pedal effort to go down a bit. wife has to drive this thing!!!
          It's more than a little extra noise. It sounds like someone is hitting the side of the bell housing with a ball peen hammer.

Comment

lol, yeah, they're loud. the recent quiet clutches are truly quiet
            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
              lol, yeah, they're loud. the recent quiet clutches are truly quiet
              Haven't had any experience with those but I've had plenty with the other crap. Fortunately I wasn't the one who installed any of them but still got an ear full when I told the customer there wasn't shit I could do to fix it unless they wanted to replace the clutch.

Comment

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have and 03 dodge with the six speed trans. and was wonder what it would run for a new clutch and install. I do not tow anything heavy with mine, so I do not need anything badass. Got almost 160,000 miles out of the stocker. Thanks

Comment

I've put clutch kits in a pair of 07 dodges that was very well built. Only down side for some was the fact that it eliminates the duel mass flywheel, other than that the kit was great came with new master cylinder/slave cylinder pre bled and ready to install.
                  "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

ok, someone explain a dual mass flywheel? I don't want to go to wikipedia!!!

found a decent animation on youtube....basically a sprung flywheel that weighs a ton! Probably sucks up vibration...but causes some spongyness?
                    Last edited by aggie97; 07-16-2013, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Pretty much it.
                      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                        ok, someone explain a dual mass flywheel? I don't want to go to wikipedia!!!

found a decent animation on youtube....basically a sprung flywheel that weighs a ton! Probably sucks up vibration...but causes some spongyness?
                        Exactly. Ford started using it back in the 80's to dampen the harmonics and noise the diesel engine was creating in the transmission.

Comment

Working...
                        X