Detonation on newer 5.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detonation on newer 5.3

Bought a 2013 Tahoe with 13K miles on it, now it has 22K. Wife's been complaining about noise at low rpm, sounds like detonation to me. Never had this issue on our '07.

Is this common or no?

She probably puts 87 in every time. I would imagine that stepping up in grade *might* help
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Originally posted by barronj View Post
    Bought a 2013 Tahoe with 13K miles on it, now it has 22K. Wife's been complaining about noise at low rpm, sounds like detonation to me. Never had this issue on our '07.

Is this common or no?

She probably puts 87 in every time. I would imagine that stepping up in grade *might* help
    Its Semi Common (2 out of 10) . What oil do you use in the truck?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam88gta1 View Post
      Its Semi Common (2 out of 10) . What oil do you use in the truck?
      I probably used a conventional on the last change (it was the first change I'd done). MFR suggested weight, probably Castrol GTX or something. Usually, it's Mobile 1 in everything. Should I try that & see what happens?
      Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

i did a little bit of online reading and came up with this

Autoblog brings you car news; expert reviews of cars, trucks, crossovers and SUVs; and pictures and video. Research and compare vehicles, find local dealers, calculate loan payments, find your car's book value and get a service estimate at Autoblog.com.

skimmed the first half but about to leave work..

Comment

For anyone else looking, here is the updated list of dexos 1 oils.

Comment

Working...
          X