Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some broken bolts removed...can anyone here do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some broken bolts removed...can anyone here do it?

Long story short...motorcycle went down hard on right side and the engine cover broke off..taking all the bolts with it. Bottom bolt is gone..along with the threads. Top two bolts broke off with cover leaving the stud in the threads. Already picked up a parts bike that has all the parts I need to get this bike back on the road, but I have to get these broken bolts removed to install the new cover. I can bring it to you if you know you can get them out...WITHOUT DAMAGING the engine case. Bike is a 92 Nighthawk 750. If you or someone you know can do it..for a reasonable price please PM me. Sooner the better.

take it to a shop and have them weld a small piece of round stock with a nut on the end to the broken bolts.

job done

Comment

put a nut over em and weld it, out she goes
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
        take it to a shop and have them weld a small piece of round stock with a nut on the end to the broken bolts.

job done
        damn you!
        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Sounds great guys...anyone here got a specific name of someone that'll do it? I've hit 2 shops in Dville and the price ranged from 80 bucks give or take at Frasier automotive to $100+ at Wells Racing. Seems kinda pricey to me.

Comment

yea that's pricey. i'm thinking $40. there's a tire/muffler place owned by some mexicans in glenn heights at ovilla rd. and hampton.

they are cheap and nice guys. i'm sure they can weld a a small piece of exhuast hanger and a nut for cheap.

Comment

Harbor freight sells a kit that i bought for less than $ 10 that will remove the bolts.
              Drill a small hole in the bolt, and reverse it with the special bit .

Comment

Originally posted by HECDOGGIE View Post
                Harbor freight sells a kit that i bought for less than $ 10 that will remove the bolts.
                true. but if you break that easy out off in there, then that's hardened steel you now have to deal with

Comment

Drill it with a #30 drill bit and use a 1/8th easy out.
                  07 GT500
                  05 SRT10
                  88 turbocoupe T-bird
                  93 Cobra
                  86 coupe
                  Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by HECDOGGIE View Post
                    I figure this is a one shot deal...either I get it done right the first time or the block is damaged. I'm letting someone else do this.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                      true. but if you break that easy out off in there, then that's hardened steel you now have to deal with
                      Then you use a carbide and grind out the easy out.
                      07 GT500
                      05 SRT10
                      88 turbocoupe T-bird
                      93 Cobra
                      86 coupe
                      Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
                        Then you use a carbide and grind out the easy out.
                        yea, that's a lot of unecessary work

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                          I figure this is a one shot deal...either I get it done right the first time or the block is damaged. I'm letting someone else do this.
                          And thus why the price is higher than you think it should be. They have to gamble on the $15/hr stooge not screwing up, and then the shop is out to replace an obscure engine case.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

fuck drilling it, weld a nut and go, muffler shop can prob help you out, go to the hardware store and get some nuts that have a ID a little smaller than the bolt shaft, take em up to welder and you should be good.

Comment

Another option

Comment

Working...
                              X