Replaced radiator, have question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced radiator, have question

This is on my 90 Bronco. I replaced the radiator yesterday and this morning after getting to work I noticed it appears to be leaking trans fluid from the lines that go to the radiator. My question is, should I have used teflon tape on the threads when connecting those lines?

Originally posted by Chili View Post
    This is on my 90 Bronco. I replaced the radiator yesterday and this morning after getting to work I noticed it appears to be leaking trans fluid from the lines that go to the radiator. My question is, should I have used teflon tape on the threads when connecting those lines?
    I always do. It's also pretty easy to cross-thread those little bastards, too.

Comment

yep.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
        I always do. It's also pretty easy to cross-thread those little bastards, too.
        I was able to finger tighted them enough that I don't believe they are cross threaded, just noticed the fluid drip whan I got in to the office. I looked under the hood and know the top one is leaking at least, if not both.

I'll pull them off tonight and wrap the threads. Not sure why I didn't think of doing it last night.

Comment

Does yours have the adapters that screw into the radiator? If they're like the ones on my Mustang, the threads are not what seals it. The flare on the end of the tube seals against a rubber O-ring in the adapter. On one of mine the O-ring fell out when I took the line loose so I had to get another adapter.
          Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
          Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

NPT = thread sealant
            flare fittings = dry

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
              NPT = thread sealant
              flare fittings = dry
              +1

Comment

It does look like a flare fitting on the lines (threaded portion slides freely) but its flat at the end, rather than curved.

Comment

I looked at it when I got home and it was leaking through the threads. I pulled them off and wrapped them with the teflon tape and they are good to go now. No more leaking. Thanks all!.

Comment

I looked at it when I got home and it was leaking through the threads. I pulled them off and wrapped them with the teflon tape and they are good to go now. No more leaking. Thanks all!.
                    A blind sow finds an acorn every once in a while!

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                      A blind sow finds an acorn every once in a while!
                      Haha.. I'm still waiting for something else to fuck up.. I actually replaced the water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, belt and radiator. It is by far the largest single "mechanical" type work I have done on my own so I'm pretty proud of myself since I am a real newb with this stuff.

Comment

Haha.. I'm still waiting for something else to fuck up.. I actually replaced the water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, belt and radiator. It is by far the largest single "mechanical" type work I have done on my own so I'm pretty proud of myself since I am a real newb with this stuff.
                        Good Job

Comment

Wait till you get to do the manifold it's a treat. Doubled my mileage though. LOL
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I see no need in starting a new thread,and since Chili got his answers..... I have another radiator question. I have a 81 chevy truck that has a bit of an overheating issue. It over heats only in warmer weather when sitting at a long light or slightly heavy traffic. I put a brand new radiator in it as well as a new thermostat. It has dual electric fans and an electric water pump. Any ideas what could be the cause?
                            Originally posted by mutherjuggz
                            That whole "making love" shit is for the birds. I won't get all graphic on my preferences, but if you can't knock the bottom out with a vengeance.... leave me alone

Comment

Originally posted by T-TOPPS5.0 View Post
                              I see no need in starting a new thread,and since Chili got his answers..... I have another radiator question. I have a 81 chevy truck that has a bit of an overheating issue. It over heats only in warmer weather when sitting at a long light or slightly heavy traffic. I put a brand new radiator in it as well as a new thermostat. It has dual electric fans and an electric water pump. Any ideas what could be the cause?
                              Are you sure both of those fans are kicking in? They're thermostatically controlled by a switch, that sometimes can go bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X