No announcement yet.

break-in time??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When going rounds with the NHRA, we didn't have to time for "break in". When I changed a motor, I would start it up in the pit to circultate the oil and put a little temp in it. Then tow to the starting line. rev it to 10,500 on the cut, pull the trigger, 300 worth of nitrous for a tenth, and 55 of boost psi to 12,500 rpm. NHRA style break in was good for 7.20's at 195.

On the dirt track car's The ol' claimer motor break in goes like this... I Let it warm up, circulate the heat, and fluids, after a little while I will grab the throttle and pin it to the cut at what ever rpm the motor is good for, 7,500, 8,500, or 9,500. Then I know it's good to go. If it will not pass this test, It was never a winner in the first place.

anything for the street, a couple of heat cycles and a trip around the block, then change the oil and you are good to go give it hell.

Comment

Prime/prelube the motor, use conventional oil during break-in.
      Jay Johnson
      Car hauler for hire

Comment

I have solid flat tappet cam so I let it run for 30 minutes at 2500 rpm. Kill it. change the break in oil. Take it to the track and drive it like you hate it.

Comment

heat cycle it 2-3 times, drive it a 3-4 miles and then deck it !!!
          Vortex rear stand $75
          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
          My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
          11 4 door
          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Working...
          X