Classic guys, Explorer 8.8 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic guys, Explorer 8.8 swap

So I'm about to do the Explorer 8.8 swap in my 68. Has anyone here done this swap? Any tips?
    68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
    63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
    i call 1911 first then 911

Brooks did in his Blazer.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
      Brooks did in his Blazer.
      Lol swap is close enough. Basically he took the trash out.

Comment

Subscribing.... I have almost got my minitubs done and ready to start thinking about the rear end now.

Comment

How much trouble was it to make a 5spd work?

Comment

It was real easy. I used a California Pony Cars crossmember, foxbody clutch kit, flywheel, and starter, and a cable conversion kit. I did this swap about 13 or 14 years ago, and at the time had never really worked on anything, and it was still easy.
            63 Fairlane

Comment

Originally posted by orphan Shelby View Post
              Lol swap is close enough. Basically he took the trash out.
              You mean leaf spring rear ends are different from car to car?
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Both Z06 and I did the explorer swaps, his is a 65 mustang, mine a 65 falcon. I had mine narrowed but it is a very cost effective solution.
                1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
                TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
                Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by lowfast View Post
                  Both Z06 and I did the explorer swaps, his is a 65 mustang, mine a 65 falcon. I had mine narrowed but it is a very cost effective solution.
                  My 68 is the same width, so I don't even need to narrow it. I broke an axle in my 8" so this swap seems like a no brainer. I have a buddy that works at a salvage yard and he said they sold the last one for $150 and he may be able to go cheaper for me.
                  63 Fairlane

Comment

Just make sure it has the limited slip and 3.73's. I paid around $150 for mine and thought that was a good deal.
                    1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
                    TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
                    Work In Progress

Comment

I just swapped in a mustang 8.8.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by sickpony View Post
                        How much trouble was it to make a 5spd work?
                        Take a look at mustangssteve.com There is a lot of info for retro-fitting 5 speeds into the classic Mustangs.

Comment

I did mine but I also narrowed the DS axle. Bought 3.73 LS rear for $175 and had Brooks narrow it for $150. It allows me to tuck 17x10.5's with ease, after I back halved and mini tubbed it..

5 Speed stuff I recommend Mustang Steve or get an SN95 clutch cable, Mustang Steve quadrant adapter, ebay crossmemeber and JY pedals. You can save some $$ doing it yourself as a MS conversion is about $600 but has everything for the pedals.

You will also need an adapter U-joint or special adapter for the rear end. I'm having to have my DS modded to support a 1310 U joint as I have the early 1" u joint cap vs the 1-1/16 (1310) caps. I've also heard of people using Crown Vic aluminum drive shafts on the 67/68's and they fit perfect.

For my 5 speed swap, I'm using the SN95 V6 trans and 94/95 V8 bellhousing so it sits 1" further back making a short throw shifter easier to grab.
                          Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

I've used a Crown Vic driveshaft on a '68 Camaro with a 700 tranny.

Comment

I did it on my son's 67. The pinion is offset so if the car sits pretty low it might hit the floor boards on rough roads. If you have good shocks you will be okay. You might also have to change you master cylinder in order to get full benefit from the rear disc brakes. If you do not narrow it you can use your same wheels, otherwise you might need to change your back spacing. Good Luck it is a pretty easy swap.

Comment

Working...
                              X