No announcement yet.

My continuing misfire issue's, I think I figured it out...BUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't remember your original post, and did not take the time to dig it up.

If you are consistently flagging a specific cylinder on the misfire, and you've swapped coils and plugs around. If you think it's an injector problem, swap the injector from the missing cylinder into a cylinder that doesn't flag a misfire. If the miss follows the injector then you can narrow it down to that component. If the miss continues to be on the same cylinder then you either have a pcm issue controlling the spark or injector (would make sense on a consistent misfire but not so much a one that's primarily at idle or under load, IE certain conditions), or you have a mechanical problem with that cylinder, a burnt or warped valve, compression low, damaged piston, etc.

Using a systematic approach to diagnosing your problem will help to keep you from just throwing parts at the issue. At some point you will may hit a brick wall and either take a SWAG (sophisticated wild ass guess, as one of my tech seminar instructors always said) or have to break down and take the car to someone with more experience/equipment to better diagnose the problem.

It can be very frustrating, I do this for a living daily sometimes it would feel better to pound my head into the concrete than to keep fighting a bastard problem.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
      My 04 KB cobra had similar issues and the coil packs all checked out fine when tested. I chased the issue for a while and just replaced the coils on a hunch and the problem went away.
      When I had my car looked at they switched coils with another set but it made no changes.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
        I don't remember your original post, and did not take the time to dig it up.

If you are consistently flagging a specific cylinder on the misfire, and you've swapped coils and plugs around. If you think it's an injector problem, swap the injector from the missing cylinder into a cylinder that doesn't flag a misfire. If the miss follows the injector then you can narrow it down to that component. If the miss continues to be on the same cylinder then you either have a pcm issue controlling the spark or injector (would make sense on a consistent misfire but not so much a one that's primarily at idle or under load, IE certain conditions), or you have a mechanical problem with that cylinder, a burnt or warped valve, compression low, damaged piston, etc.

Using a systematic approach to diagnosing your problem will help to keep you from just throwing parts at the issue. At some point you will may hit a brick wall and either take a SWAG (sophisticated wild ass guess, as one of my tech seminar instructors always said) or have to break down and take the car to someone with more experience/equipment to better diagnose the problem.

It can be very frustrating, I do this for a living daily sometimes it would feel better to pound my head into the concrete than to keep fighting a bastard problem.
        Breakdown..........

Problem/Issues:
        Rough Idle
        Loss of Power
        Random Cylinder Misfires
        Car running rich

Parts Replaced
        New Fuel Filter
        New Spark Plugs- Brisk Silver Racing Gapped at 0.32
        Oil Change
        New FRPS Sensor
        Cleaned MAF
        New front O2 Sensors

Tests Performed:
        Compression Test 200psi– good
        Fuel Pressure holds steady
        Cylinder Balance Test – good
        Coils – good
        Injector connector receiving 12V
        Injectors Resistance 12.5 all around
        Manual cylinder balance test- done
        Listened to Injectors for pulse- all pulsing but some sounded weaker than others

Possibiliites:
        Dirty/Clogged Injectors
        Clogged Cats
        Vacuum Leak
        Tune?
        ECU Dying

No DTC Codes showing

Following 2 ABS Codes Thrown:
        U1900
        U2011

Comment

What modifications do you have done?

Are those new plugs a heat range or two colder?

Is it a 09 style plug or a 05-08 plug

Comment

Originally posted by Andy@PrimeTuning View Post
            What modifications do you have done?

Are those new plugs a heat range or two colder?

Is it a 09 style plug or a 05-08 plug
            07 Roush 427R w/M90 S/C
            VMP 500 Kit- consists of Tune, smaller pulley, & Steeda CAI
            Afco Heat Exchanger
            SVT Ford Racing Cooling Fan
            PA Performance Alternator
            3.73'S
            Exedy Mach 500 Clutch & Flywheel
            J&M LCA's
            BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar
            DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

Brisk Silver Racing Plugs 05-09 Mustang- Part number 497-3VR14S is a colder heat range and recommended for application at 450 flywheel horsepower and higher. My previous plus were Autolite HTO's

Comment

Man the cat is simple check the temp directly before(in front) the cat and after (behind). Also look for mismatching color on the cat. If it's clogged it'll be cooler on the back end of it and won't be discolored as opposed to the front where the heat causes discoloration.
              As for the injectors any place with a good scanner can do a cylinder contribution test that will help you pinpoint that issue.
              Hope this helps

Comment

How long did it run well with the HT0s?

Comment

How long did it run well with the HT0s?
                  Ran great after I got it and ran strong after my tune, seems like these issues started around October.

Comment

You didn't really give me a time frame. When was it tuned ..... then it started acting up in October

Comment

You didn't really give me a time frame. When was it tuned ..... then it started acting up in October
                      Oh, my bad. Got the tune mid 2011, started noticing these issues around October 2013

Comment

Working...
                      X