Removing paint off a fiberglass hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing paint off a fiberglass hood

Is there a chemical stripper the will strip pain without stripping the gel coat? Ive tried sanding ,but im afraid im gonna make it uneven. Any suggestions? TIA

I'd just sand it off myself. 80grit da.

Comment

It just prep and paint over it rather than stripping
      Scott Ganow
      Lone Star Performance
      16300 Midway Rd
      Addison, TX 75001
      214-630-5006

Comment

Round block it and be done.

Comment

Use a da with 80 grit and be careful. You can take 80 percent off with the 80 and go to 180 to finish. Then prime it with a polyester primer to lock everything down.

Comment

The problem is it has 2 paint jobs on it and one of them was flames. The shit is thick.. Im worried i will make it uneven.

Comment

sand it until you hit the gel coat and then use a quality primer to get the sanding marks out of it.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

If it has no lines (flame outlines) then I would jut hit it with a flat block and some wet 400/320 and then shoot some 2k primer on it and guide coat and re-sand it. Then BC/CC that muthu...
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

The car was black then they painted siler and purple flames on it. Then another painter sanded and painted black over that. The paint started peeling at the flame outlines. The car was a guy named Brodie that worked at USA motorsports, It used to sit inside the building on the showroom. If any of you guys know or remember it.

Comment

I do. If it's peeling you have to do what I said in my earlier post. Leave the da flat and it will work ok. You might could strip it with urethane parts stripper but it is a pita and makes a nasty mess. Da it until you see the original primer under the first paint job.

Comment

Originally posted by skinnystangman View Post
                      The car was a guy named Brodie that worked at USA motorsports, It used to sit inside the building on the showroom. If any of you guys know or remember it.
                      I used to know Brodie, whatever happened to him?

Comment

I have no idea.. I knew the car more than him. It changed hands a couple times before i ended up with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X