Torque specs for lug nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque specs for lug nuts?

Yeah I could have googled this but I'm too fucking lazy. Often I have wondered what the typical torque specifications are for just your average half ton truck. Or perhaps your average 4 door family sedan. Does anyone even care? Or do you just tighten them down till they feel snug? Or, do you just know that 150 PSI of air pressure must be enough... right?

It's more determined by the size of the stud than the size of the car. Typical 1\2 ton chevy 1988 and newer 120 ft lb's, most midsized cars 80-100 ft lb's, 3/4 ton and up anywhere from 120-175 ft lb's. A lot of euro cars with lug bolts instead of typical stud and nut are 65 ft lb's. I use torq sticks and or torque wrench on all my customers cars. I've had to take many lug nuts off with the 3\4" impact after someone hand tightened or just used an impact.

Comment

Hmm, this raises a new question for me. How can you be sure that you're impact is going to torque them to spec? A certain air pressure coming through the wrench = a certain torque setting perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
        Hmm, this raises a new question for me. How can you be sure that you're impact is going to torque them to spec? A certain air pressure coming through the wrench = a certain torque setting perhaps?
        If you have the proper torque extensions, which most will not. Otherwise, you need to use a torque wrench. Check each by hand. If you deem it necessary.

Comment

Tight till it breaks, back it off a 1/2 turn. ;-)
          I've heard 90ftlbs, but I go by feel.
          2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
          '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
          '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

ford, Lincoln, mercury:
            any ford car or truck with 19mm lug nut is 100
            f150 w/19mm is 100
            f150 w/21mm is 150
            excursion some are 165 some are 150

Chevy, gm products:
            any car with 19mm is 100
            any truck or suburban with 3/4 or 22mm is 140

BMW:
            all 17 mm lug bolts are 90
            some come with 19 mm and are 105

Mercedes:
            most are 90

Volvo:
            most are 105

VW,
            all are 90

Honda:
            most are 90 some 85

dodge:
            19mm is 110 some cummins are 15/16 lug and is 150

all specs are what i use at discount tire. this is whats off the top of my head, if theirs something not on here ask and ill let you know.

Tesla Service Technician.

Comment

Working...
            X