2001 f150 won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 f150 won't start

So yesterday I started my truck and the odometer was not lit up. It finally came back on after a couple of seconds. Drove home with no issues, parked it and when I tried to start it this morning it only clicks once when you turn the key. Checked the starter it's good. Tried to jump the solenoid and it did the same click but didn't crank. Replaced the solenoid and it still does the same thing. I'm all out of ideas. Any help is appreciated
    Originally posted by Yale
    I want to give her a colonoscopy with my tongue.

I'd guess either your battery is completely toast or you are losing voltage to the starter for some reason. If you have a volt meter check the battery, otherwise turn on the head lamps. If they are dim then it's probably battery, if they look fine but then go out completely when you crank then check your cables.

Then again with the ODO acting up I'd suspect maybe an ignition switch problem. It should still crank through when jumpering the solenoid.

Comment

Put in a battery that you know is good and give it a try. A dead battery can cause you all kinds of hell looking for mystery issues that aren't truly there. Eliminate the battery first.
      Originally posted by Buzzo
      Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Battery is reading 12.5 on my meter so it's good

Comment

12.5v doesn't mean anything without a load on it. What's voltage when cranking?

Comment

Don't think I'm gonna be able to figure that out. Working by myself

Comment

$300.

Comment

Originally posted by SSsierra90 View Post
                can you jump the solenoid with the meter on it?
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by SSsierra90 View Post
                  12V is easy to produce with no load, if it goes completely open (as I mentioned, the headlamps go completely off when cranking) then you have a connection problem. If the Voltage drops down to 6-8 volts and it's still trying to crank but very slowly (headlamps dim a lot) then you could have a shorted cell in the battery, heavy load from corroded cables or possibly a bad starter. Ideally you'd want to measure voltage drop between the battery and starter but it's easier and faster just to watch the headlamps when cranking.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                    can you jump the solenoid with the meter on it?
                    I'll try it. Getting the battery tested now

Comment

Got the battery tested and put it back in. Cranked it up and started. I'm not sure wtf is going on. I cleaned and checked the terminals earlier and still the same thing. Not entirely sure if problem is resolved

Comment

corrosion on terminals, failure in a terminal wire, operator error?

Comment

The odometer goes in and out on my 01 f150 all the time...but never had a starting issue. My bat light does come on most of the time...
                          Originally posted by Da Prez
                          Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                          Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                            corrosion on terminals, failure in a terminal wire, operator error?
                            I cleaned them off first thing. They weren't bad but did have a little corrosion on them. The odometer does worry me. I drove it around earlier, tried to get as many start and stops as possible. I did notice that the radio display and the odometer dim when I turn the head lights on.. ?

Comment

Working...
                            X