e85 question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e85 question..

Got a customers car in my shop that I bet hasn't been converted to run e85 on anything but injectors.

Its been sitting in there for about a month while I build his setup but he seems to be getting inpatient.

He says that he needs to get it fast due to the seals and lines going bad. That I understand but safely what is my timeframe? I don't fool with e85 much but do understand the corrosive aspects of it. Just trying to see if I need to hurry and get it done or adjust elsewhere.

Thanks

I have been using E-85 since 2006 without any corrosion issues. I use Aeroquip -10 push-lock hose, Aluminum hard line, Aeromotive fuel pump and a Carburetor. Car has sat for months at a time and up to a year while doing bodywork and paint. No corrosion ever, although I did drain the year old fuel and put fresh fuel in before starting it after a year of sitting. Carb has been off numerous times, never a hint of corrosion.
    If it's a Factory Fuel Injected car it will have a closed fuel system(I.E. Not vented to atmosphere) so the fuel absorbing moisture should be minimal.

More Info:
    Myth: Ethanol is bad for fuel injectors.

Fact: Olefins in gasoline cause deposits that can foul injectors. By comparison, ethanol burns 100 percent and leaves no residue, so it cannot contribute to the formation of deposits. Fact is, ethanol actually keeps fuel injectors cleaner and improves performance. What's more, ethanol does not increase corrosion, and it will not harm seals or valves.
    Link:http://www.e85carbs.com/index.htm

Q: Don’t I have to replace all the “rubber” in my fuel system so it want be eaten up by the alcohol in E85?

A: NO!!! We started out on this journey with a complete gasoline system. We upped the flow 30% to compensate for the lower heat energy output of ethanol and left everything else the same just to see the effects. We switched to E85 at the end of the 2006 racing season and to date we have found zero deterioration or corrosion anywhere in our fuel system. We leave it in the system all the time. We don’t drain anything between races or use any type of fuel lube.
    Link:http://www.raceone85.com/

Comment

Good deal thanks..

That's what I was looking for.

Comment

The only thing I have noticed in any of my e85 setups is the white powder build up. Other than that, nothing negative(ive been running it since 2007).
        3x NHRA/IHRA Division 4 Champion
        www.heathensracing.com

Competition Sales of Dallas
        Mothers Polish and Waxes
        Mickey Thompson Tires
        Champion Racing Oils
        MaxCackle Photos

"I bleed red, white, blue, and a little bit of E85"

Comment

Originally posted by MadMax404M View Post
          The only thing I have noticed in any of my e85 setups is the white powder build up. Other than that, nothing negative(ive been running it since 2007).
          I pulled my tank yesterday. The fittings have that white residue also
          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Do you guys think if it sits un started for a few more weeks it will be okay?

The guy drove it up here and all.

Older civic hatch with the common shit on it. Turbo, injectors, yadda yadda..

Really don't want this guy up here while I'm working on it and don't wanna detour on anything either.

Comment

Is the work being done in the agreed time frame? If so he can wait. If not fix it and get it back to him.

Sounds like he might be one of those picky as hell guys who calls everyday as well though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                Is the work being done in the agreed time frame? If so he can wait. If not fix it and get it back to him.

Sounds like he might be one of those picky as hell guys who calls everyday as well though.
                Yea its getting done in a reasonable timeframe.

There is kind of a language barrier though.

Comment

Working...
                X