Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PCV Sucking oil. Do you think this would work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCV Sucking oil. Do you think this would work?

The baffles had to be cut out of the stock covers because of the new roller rockers. The PCV is now sucking oil like crazy. So I got on of the JLT catch can setups and installed it. It's working but its filling up pretty quick.

I was thinking of trying something and wanted to see if anyone had tried it before.

I want to hollow out the old PCV that was in the valve cover. Then run a hose from it to the new oem valve, then to the catch can to the intake. Im thinking that having a much larger hole in the old PCV might help slow down the airflow and keep it from sucking up as much oil. Anyone think this might work or am I barking up a useless tree.

Oh and before anyone says taller valve covers with baffles... It's a 95 F150 and a taller cover won't fit under the intake.
    "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

I'm having the same issue, my set up is on a mustang and I'm not sure if they differ from the truck.

I have a pcv valve on the back side of the intake and a fresh air vent on the oil fill that connects to the intake pipe, or throttle body.

If you're running the fresh air vent without a baffle that is going to be a problem, the rockers will throw oil there no matter what, make a baffle or find a way to block oil from getting into the hose.

You're on the right track when it comes to making the existing pcv hole bigger but the real problem is the drivers side valve cover being sealed and forcing crank pressure out of one hole.

I'm going to add a pcv valve to the front of the drivers side valve cover, run it to a "T" fitting to the oem pcv valve, to a jegs air oil separator then to the intake for vacuum.

If that doesn't fix the oil problem then I'm not for sure what will.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

I always just run the lines to a vented catch can rather then letting the Intake suck on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
        I'm having the same issue, my set up is on a mustang and I'm not sure if they differ from the truck.

I have a pcv valve on the back side of the intake and a fresh air vent on the oil fill that connects to the intake pipe, or throttle body.

If you're running the fresh air vent without a baffle that is going to be a problem, the rockers will throw oil there no matter what, make a baffle or find a way to block oil from getting into the hose.

You're on the right track when it comes to making the existing pcv hole bigger but the real problem is the drivers side valve cover being sealed and forcing crank pressure out of one hole.

I'm going to add a pcv valve to the front of the drivers side valve cover, run it to a "T" fitting to the oem pcv valve, to a jegs air oil separator then to the intake for vacuum.

If that doesn't fix the oil problem then I'm not for sure what will.
        Well, on the truck the filler neck on the drivers side has a hose from it directly to the intake tack between the MAF and the throttle body so it's not completely sealed. And the rockers aren't throwing oil up in there. I checked the inside of the hose it hooks to, and the throttle body itself. Both are dry. The hose from the PCV is dripping oil though.
        "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
          I always just run the lines to a vented catch can rather then letting the Intake suck on it.
          I almost to the point of doing this. But I figure why not try some crazy shit to see if anything works.

Comment

Well I think I got it figured out.

I used a dremel to cut the end of the aftermarket metal pcv valve. Put it back in the valve cover on the rear passenger side. Then used a pcv elbow for a chrysler and a brass barbed fitting to mount the oem pcv in. Then from there to the catch can, then back to the intake. After driving for a day or two there's no oil at all in the catch can, just a few drops of condensation.

You can see here how I cut the bottom out of the aftermarket metal pcv valve. This is what goes back into the grommet in the valve cover.

In this pic you can see how I adapted it all together. The hose on the bottom is coming from the pcv in the valve cover. the brass piece I used is part # LFA-293 at home depot. The rubber elbow is Dorman part# 47028. The threaded end of the brass goes into the rubber elbow.

to the left of the pcv is where the line comes back from the catch can and goes into the intake.

I mounted the catch can to a bracket the I wasn't using anymore. The line on the far side is from the pcv, the other returns to the intake.

Comment

Working...
            X