A/C compressor clutch not kicking on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C compressor clutch not kicking on

On my 2001 Ranger, the A/C has not been working this year. So I checked the Freon, and it was low(but not empty), so I charged it up, but the clutch will not engage. The relay is OK- what next?

This is not a daily driver, so I'm not that concerned about the A/C. So if I can fix this for couple of hundred- I'll fix it. But if it's a grand, forget it.

Ideas?

AC Clutch

Take a jumper wire and go straight to the wire on the clutch. It should "Click" when voltage is applied. Then you can work backwards to find an open connection or bad switch. Also jump across the low pressure switch. If you are low on freon, that switch will shut the compressor off. The switches rarely go bad, but it could happen. If so, that is a cheap fix. In all my years I have never had a clutch fail because of the electrical part. Usually bearings go bad.

Comment

Edit, FastFox beat me to it.

Did you check for power and ground at the compressor. You need to have the connector plugged in so it loads the circuit and you don't get a false reading. The low or high pressure switch could be a problem. If you don't have power at the compressor jumper the low and high pressure switch connectors with a piece of wire one at a time. Replace the switch that allows it to engage.

I see the clutch coil fail pretty regular, but generally not on the domestic stuff aside from Dodges and that's usually the diesel.

Comment

Check the radiator fan. If it is electric it has to be running for the AC compressor to engage.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
          In all my years I have never had a clutch fail because of the electrical part. Usually bearings go bad.
          I've seen several on the old Fords. The clutch airgap is adjustable and can be set too far. It'll work fine when they are new but get some years of use in the windings and the resistance goes up, eventually 12 volts isn't enough to engage the clutch.

Comment

If its low its leaking. I would fix that first. Don't waste your money on refrigerant find the leak and fix it

Comment

Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
              Check the radiator fan. If it is electric it has to be running for the AC compressor to engage.
              Clutched, belt driven fan.

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                If its low its leaking. I would fix that first. Don't waste your money on refrigerant find the leak and fix it
                I took it 14 years to lose half it's Freon- that's a TINY leak!

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
                  I took it 14 years to lose half it's Freon- that's a TINY leak!
                  What was your high and low side readings after you added refrigerant? Those readings tell a lot about whats going on in the system.

Comment

Working...
                  X