T5 - 3550 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T5 - 3550 swap

I have a 3550 and am putting it in my 65 Galaxie and removing the T5. I've got the right bell housing and shifter, the clutch and driveshaft splines are the same. I may have to do a little crossmember modding. But as far as overall length are they the same? And the shifter should be in the same position correct?
    Originally posted by soap
    i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

shifter is in the same spot, and IIRC the length is the same was well.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

The trans bushing is back about a inch vs a t5. We used to just grind the spot welds off a factory double hump and slide it back in the tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
        The trans bushing is back about a inch vs a t5. We used to just grind the spot welds off a factory double hump and slide it back in the tubes.
        I'll have to do some fab work on my crossmember then, it's a galaxie and the cross member is slid back as far as it could go with the t5

thanks for the replies

Comment

very cool.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
            very cool.
            Thanks, it's fun as hell to drive. It gets a lot of thumbs up from old guys. Next is a vortech S trim.

I just replaced the 3.00 open diff with 3.70 and a trac loc.

Comment

Originally posted by ktm300hater View Post
              Thanks, it's fun as hell to drive. It gets a lot of thumbs up from old guys. Next is a vortech S trim.

I just replaced the 3.00 open diff with 3.70 and a trac loc.
              I bet! I get that when driving my 69 mustang, people stop and stare.

With 3.73's and a 3550, I have no problem moving at normal hwy speeds or higher, except for the folks that want to take a look, and either slow down or speed up...

Comment

Working...
              X