Color Sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Sanding

Posted this in the Looking Good Forum, but maybe no one was looking.

My question is how long should I wait before color sanding and buffing single stage with hardener paint. The color is plain white, no metallic or pearl.

the longer you wait the harder it will be to polish. i wait no longer than 48 hrs on ppg or such. spi will buff easy at any time.

Comment

Day after you shoot it.

Comment

Color sanding

Did it yesterday. I tried the 600, then 1000, and then 2500, but I ended up going back to 320 with constant running water. Then I buffed with tan 3M Rubbing Compound and then went to gray 3M polishing compound. Washed the truck with soap and water and hand waxed with Zymol Liquid Wax. I tried the Meguirs carnuba wax, but the white paint does not like it . I really like the Zymol. Thanks to all for the tips. The bed side I painted looks as good as the factory and a professional painted fender from a little dent. This was on a 2003 Lightning in white with mostly original paint.

Comment

You waxed it? :X I don't know about single stage, but that's usually a big no no with base/clear. At least, when I was taught about paint, it can seal in the binders and evaporates causing adhesion problems.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
            You waxed it? :X I don't know about single stage, but that's usually a big no no with base/clear. At least, when I was taught about paint, it can seal in the binders and evaporates causing adhesion problems.
            Correct. That's a big no!
            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
            86 SVO - Sold
            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

320?

Comment

Color sanding

Yep, used the 1000 plus grits and would have still been there (LOL). The 320 worked fine with constant water flowing. After buffing with one machine rubbing compound, and then with a 3M polishing compound, I had a better gloss than a fender that was painted in a good professional shop.

Comment

Originally posted by sdun View Post
                  320?
                  I was confused by that too.

Comment

Maybe prepped with 320? Hell 600 is harsh as hell to cut with.

Comment

Doesn't add up. I'll block clear with 800 if I'm going to flow coat it with 2 or 3 more coats of clear, but 320? Not even lacquer.

Comment

Exactly, me thinks OP has his numbers mixed up.

Comment

Working...
                        X