Ashtray door fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashtray door fix

Hey I know there are kits out there for this but I am hoping maybe someone has come up w/ some other ingenuity.

My console hast the tiny tab broken that is closest to the cigarette lighter. It is that nipple that is actually attached to the console itself that the ashtray door mounts too. Everything else is in place and functional. I still have the original spring.

My question is if there is any other way to fix that tab other than drilling a hole? I really do not want the head of a screw showing every time I look down. Granted it would be nice to close that ashtray door and never look at it again.

It seems like a longshot but there always seems to be someone brainstorming this sort of thing and I thought I would ask.

At a car show recently I saw a fox that had a real thin strip of clear 2 sided tape on the inside of the lip, so when the door is closed it is sticking to the console well

Comment

God damn cant even get a low mile fox with a non broken ashtray door!

Mine was like that and no crap i think i epoxied it together. It was still working after i sold it.

Comment

I used the o-rings that go on your fuel injectors. Put them on the pivot points, just enough resistance it would stay closed. Yes, I'm serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Back N Black View Post
          At a car show recently I saw a fox that had a real thin strip of clear 2 sided tape on the inside of the lip, so when the door is closed it is sticking to the console well
          Similar concept - we used to use stick on wheel weights....just put a few of them on the under side outer edge, and the extra weight keeps it closed.
          70' Chevelle RagTop
          (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
            God damn cant even get a low mile fox with a non broken ashtray door!

Mine was like that and no crap i think i epoxied it together. It was still working after i sold it.
            Aint that the truth... fucking 30k miles and that bitch is still broken. The spring was still in the console.

What did you use to act as the pivot point? That nipple is long gone on mine

My problem is I want it to look good when it's open as well... not just closed. I want it to function.

I am coming up w/ a new "nipple" to epoxy onto the inside of the console. If that doesn't work I will probably revert to one of the ideas to keep it closed at all times.

I just don't want to drill a hole into my console piece that looks so damn good.

Finally got my stock radio working. Now I have an Aux input w/ my factory headunit. Pretty slick.

Comment

You could always drill a hole and run a new plastic plug from the back side and epoxie it there. I would add some hidden bracing where you can as well. If i remember right that is really flimsy.

Comment

My problem with that is I can't keep the door open with the tape solution. The door would sag at the end that is closest to the cigarette lighter because that support tab is broken.

The previous owner used a sticky paper/foam on the inside lip. Even when closed the ashtray door was sagging in the lower left corner (looking straight down on the lid from above). The rear tab provide quite a bit of support.

It would be a good solution for it to stay closed, but I would like to be able to open it as well. It would be perfect if the spring perch was broken as well because then it would move properly but just lack tension.

Comment

look at a pic of the ashtray repair kit and copy it. Or stop complaining and spend the $40
                  One day at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by onjacks View Post
                    look at a pic of the ashtray repair kit and copy it. Or stop complaining and spend the $40
                    lol clearly you aren't tracking. All of those kits require you to put a screw through the console. The head of the screw sits on the outside of the console and visible.

I don't want to drill or have a screw head in the middle of my console visible.

It has nothing to do w/ the $. I know the kits are out there but they don't fix my OCD problem.

Comment

Which part is broken... if its the little nipple, drill a small hole in its place, and use a small nut and bolt as the new pivot point...

Comment

Shop now for high quality, custom made, OE style parts and accessories for your late model Ford. Our custom made parts set the standard.

18.95 free shipping

Comment

This ash tray repair kit is now sold under the DCR (Daniel Carpenter Reproductions) brand.If you've been around Fox Body Mustangs long enough then you know t...

Comment

Originally posted by jakesford View Post
                            Which part is broken... if its the little nipple, drill a small hole in its place, and use a small nut and bolt as the new pivot point...
                            Originally posted by Denny View Post
                            www.ponyrparts.com

18.95 free shipping
                            Originally posted by 1AdamLopez View Post
                            Thanks for the replies guys but you aren't reading what I'm saying.

All of those ideas require having a visible screw head in the console. Anytime you look down at the lighter, you will see a screw head. All of the kits are the same and require you to use the screw which looks like shit.

I am trying to fab up a "nipple" that doesn't require any drilling and applies from the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                              Similar concept - we used to use stick on wheel weights....just put a few of them on the under side outer edge, and the extra weight keeps it closed.
                              Back in the day I used magnets mounted with R/C "servo tape" - just a really durable and sticky double sided tape.
                              US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Working...
                              X