Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost power on the way home

2003 s-10 206k miles. 2.2L 4cyl 5 spd

Cruising down the interstate, A/C on and cruise set at 85. I felt something let go, not a loud noise, but an audible pop. I could feel it as well. The cruise sucked the accelerator to the floor and I started losing speed. I turned the a/c off, killed the cruise and vacated to the right lane until I could exit. Once I got stopped I killed it and popped the hood. No smoke, no fluids pouring from anywhere. Started it back up, no rattling. A little stumble as the engine revs and it is gutless. I mean, it was gutless before, but now its crap. I can tool along ok at 50 mph but acceleration is non existent. It almost feels like a clogged catalytic converter, but I don't have one.

Cliff's notes:

Cruising at 85 mph. Heard/felt a pop, lost power. Can travel 50 mph ok, but no acceleration.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

EGR valve
    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

No miss?

Still have a cat on it?

Comment

LS swap time
        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Cracked head.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
            LS swap time
            Funny you should mention that. I have started looking for a cheap 4.8/5.3!
            Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
            No miss?

Still have a cat on it?
            Nope. No cat. I ran up to auto zone and had the codes pulled since I can't find my elm.

P0420

No surprise there. Rear O2 sensor catalyst low.

P0172

This is the new code. Fuel trim bank one problem.

The head was replaced a couple of years ago. 75k miles or so. Only to find out I had a bad injector. However, this issue seems nothing like that. I also had new wires put on at that time as well. I can feel a little miss in it and it sounds off. It seems ok when starting off but falls flat on its face after 2k rpm. Feels like there isn't enough air or fuel.

I haven't been running the tank down near empty. Maybe 2/3 tank. I get gas at the same place every time. This is a flex fuel truck so it has the fuel filter and pressure regulator combo. I changed it about 30k miles ago with the same Wix filter I have used for a decade.

I will start tearing it down tomorrow and check plugs, wires, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
              EGR valve
              IIRC these trucks haven't had EGR since 2000-2001.

Comment

God damn i cant read at all.
                Doesnt sound good man.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                  God damn i cant read at all.
                  Doesnt sound good man.
                  I have been reading through an s-10 forum. Everything from vacuum leak to sticking/leaking injectors. I am sure there are some dry rotted vacuum lines under the hood. There have been no indications of it running poorly or about to let go. I have been averaging 23 mpg. I filled up this morning and I got 24.5 mpg on the last tank. That there would be enough for me to rule out an injector issue.

Comment

Every time i hear a pop and a loss of power it has never ended well haha.

Comment

Lol. Keep in mind, we are dealing with a 120 hp turd! It wasn't a loud pop. Hell, it may not have been a pop, but more the feeling of losing power. It spins ~3200 rpm in 5th gear at 83 mph

Comment

Check the spark coming from each wire, should be waste spark setup still. The coils failed from time to time.

Comment

Pulled the plugs this morning. Electrode on 2 and 4 are gone. I think I have a spare coil. Going to replace the coil for 2&4 new plugs and wires. Any other thoughts? No major sign of excess fuel. They don't reek of gas

Comment

Plugs swapped, no real change. O2 voltage is bouncing from .3-.8,

Comment

Compression or leakdown?
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X