Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help identify a steering rack. Need help ASAP.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identify a steering rack. Need help ASAP.

I have a buddy who bought a car that is a Frankenstein of sorts. It's an 89 fox but has had a lot of SN95 parts put on it for road racing and track days. The steering rack seems to have gone out and is leaking, but we are unsure which year it came from as it does not appear to be a fox rack.

My guess is that it is either a 94-95 rack, or possibly an 03 cobra rack.

Need to identify it today so we can pick one up to work on it in the morning.

Thanks!

looks fox-ish to me.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

we found a casting number but apparently ALL racks 94 and newer have the same casting number. There is a second stamped identifier on the passenger side of the rack, but he can't find it. if I can get that, I found a list on SVTperformance to decode it. ugh.

Comment

trying to replace that exactly? IIRC, the difference comes in the steering shaft connection, otherwise they are interchangeable.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Post a picture of the steering shaft where it connects to the rack
          If the rack is splined and round, it's a fox, if it's a triangle, it's SN 95+
          Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
            Post a picture of the steering shaft where it connects to the rack
            If the rack is splined and round, it's a fox, if it's a triangle, it's SN 95+
            Exactly what I was going to suggest.

FWIW I just took apart (completely) a 94/95 rack to convert it to maual steering and it blew my mind at how much is going on inside when they are working. Also you can swap out the pinion gear between 79-93 and the 94/95 stuff to use the 79-93 steering shaft connection.

Comment

he found a mirror and found the 2nd etched number. Looks like it is from a 99---01 V6 car.

Guess we will find out in the morning when I tear it apart at the shop!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X