Fox IRS swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox IRS swap

Hey guys new to the forum i just picked up a 89 lx coupe fairly stock aside from a 2in drop and newer 302 swapped I'm really wanting to make it handle to the best of its potential and I'm thinking irs is probably the way and i was wondering what all I'm going to need to do this besides the irs assembly and the cobra exhaust? what do you typically do as far as the front hubs to convert them to 5 lug and switch them to fit the same size rim as the back end any help would be appreciated thanks

Originally posted by Diamond View Post
    Hey guys new to the forum. I just picked up a 89 lx coupe, fairly stock aside from a 2in drop and newer 302 swapped. I'm really wanting to make it handle to the best of its potential, and I'm thinking irs is probably the way. I was wondering what all I'm going to need to do this besides the irs assembly and the cobra exhaust? What do you typically do as far as the front hubs to convert them to 5 lug and switch them to fit the same size rim as the back end? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You're welcome for the help.

Comment

SN95 front arms, 94-95 spindles,94-04hubs,94-04brakes. Birddog just did the IRS swap I'm sure he has some good info.
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
        SN95 front arms, 94-95 spindles,94+hubs,94+brakes. Birddog just did the IRS swap I'm sure he has some good info.
        Isn't it 94-04 brakes? I thought they changed with the body/chassis change.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
          Isn't it 94-04 brakes? I thought they changed with the body/chassis change.
          Yeah sorry, I'm stuck in 2004
          Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

I just did my 92 coupe last year, and I'm happy with the results but it certainly brings a whole new set of challenges. In addition to the need for the IRS exhaust, you'll have to fab up a brake hard line. It also limits your wheel selection greatly! Read my build thread in the build subforum and then feel free to ask any questions.
            Originally posted by stevo
            Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Comment

Well played.
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I second that motion

Comment

I'd agree, far fewer unknowns with that setup. I'm not knocking the IRS, I love mine, and it was way cheaper than that, but the MM Max grip box is an all in one solution.

Stevo

Comment

Yeah I've looked into some of the mm products and I would still have to come up with some kind of modern braking solution probably bring the total to over 6k but I bet there whole set up would be badass the irs ride quality is kind of one of the things drawing me to it idk if you can really get that out of a solid?

Comment

With the proper springs/dampers you can get a good ride quality on either. With the wrong springs/dampers, you will have a horrible ride quality.

You are correct, you would still need to address the brakes, I went full cobra on mine and pieced together the front end from forums like Corral.net. I got the cobra calipers and brackets and pads from there, 94/95 spindles off craigslist, and new rotors and master cylinder from autozone. I think all in all it cost me like $450ish for the front brakes and I already had a disk rear when I got the car, and the rear disk calipers are the same for anything from a v6 all the way to the cobra, only the rotors, pads, and brackets are different on the cobra.

In my situation, my rear end had 2.73 gears and was off a 99+ GT I think so it was too wide but had disk brakes... It needed gears and a rebuild, and the proper length axles and brackets, which would have cost me over a grand alone to build it up. Then it still would not have handled well at all, I'd still need a PHB, Torque arm, shocks, springs, and control arms just to make it handle which would cost another $1500+... I saw the IRS pop up on here for $500 and it already had the 3.55 gears I wanted and would address all my problems plus it'd handle better.

The ride quality is better, but I REALLY have to get my shocks/springs sorted out as soon as I get my bonus as the car is not balanced at all. On the front I have tokico blue struts and Eibach sportline springs and the rear is stock bilstien shocks and 1 coil cut stock springs (both from the stock IRS). So right now my front is too stiffly sprung and under damped, and the rear is overdamped for the soft springs which were cut so my handling is not anywhere near where I want it to be. I also still have the gansta lean marshmellow seats with worn springs that bounce a ton as well which doesn't help with feeling.

So I guess it comes down to this... what is the rear end situation of your car right now? What is the front end like? If you just upgrade the rear, the front will be horrible. You have to address the whole car to make it handle correctly. Keep in mind that the MM kit while expensive and still doesn't address your brake needs, does address the entire car and works well as a package. I've got the IRS on mine and you're welcome to come check it out and take a ride... kbscobravert has the MM Max grip package on his Cobra if you need to talk to someone about that setup.

Here's my build thread with some pics and info..

So about 2 years ago I got my current 92 Coupe 5.0/5spd in a trade from a guy in East Texas, I gave him a dirtbike and $1k for the car. My plan was to have a fun weekend car that I may some day do a little auto x or an open track day in it. I don't really have an interest in drag racing so it needed to handle as well as
                        Last edited by bird_dog0347; 12-29-2014, 10:56 AM.

Stevo

Comment

FYI, this one is for sale in Austin... $950

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                            FYI, this one is for sale in Austin... $950

http://forums.corral.net/forums/driv...s-texas**.html
                            Hey thanks appreciate it. If your interested in the IRS let me know I don't have a problem meeting up. Best way to contact me is through email sick89lx@yahoo.com

Thanks
                            Rudy

Comment

Working...
                            X