Header questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header questions...

I'm getting ready to drop my motor back in, but I am at a dilemma. I currently have Mac shorties, bought them used, but I think they're warped. Last time I had them off, I had to use a pry bar and put some pretty serious leverage on them to get the bolt holes to line up. Don't feel comfortable doing that now with aluminum heads. Now to be fair, I have not checked the fitment of them yet either.

Another issue, if I stick with my shorties, I need to get another H pipe for them. I do have a x-pipe for long tubes, but my concern with long tubes is fitment. If I go to long tubes, will I have to pull them off every time I drop the transmission to mess with the clutch?

Also, I have a 351 swap and my future, and if I did the long tubes, would the 351 swap headers from BBK work with my current 302 setup as well as my future 351? Or will I have to buy a different set for my 302, and then the swap headers for the 351?

Manual t5 by the way. Car is an 87gt, with all accessories (a/c, power steering) and a Vortech.

They are still probably going to be hard to put on. I would get some solid flange shorties and h, run that till you get the 351 thing hammered out.
    sigpic

Comment

How often do you plan on messing with the trans? I was able to leave my Mac longtubes bolted up when I swapped my clutch in my fox.
      Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

I have a set of Kooks Longtubes I could sell you. I'm ditching my 302 setup for an LSx swap
        Scott Ganow
        Lone Star Performance
        16300 Midway Rd
        Addison, TX 75001
        214-630-5006

Comment

Originally posted by 0393gt View Post
          They are still probably going to be hard to put on. I would get some solid flange shorties and h, run that till you get the 351 thing hammered out.
          x2 on the solid flange.

Comment

Wonder how much & how hard it would be to bolt my headers up to the old cylinder heads, then weld in a piece of steel in between them to basically make them a solid flange....

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
              Wonder how much & how hard it would be to bolt my headers up to the old cylinder heads, then weld in a piece of steel in between them to basically make them a solid flange....
              I've seen that done, but unless you have more time and talent than $ I would another set of headers. I had used Ford Racing shorties that were great (about $ 100 used). My 351 BBK shorties get here today. I'll let you know.

Comment

Working...
              X