87-93 motor vs 94-95 motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87-93 motor vs 94-95 motor

I might be picking up a 94 GT with a few problems, so I want to see what parts are interchangeable. I am trying to find out what are the differences in the mustang 5.0 motors from 87-95. I know a few basics...

87-88 = speed density, 89+ = mass air
    pre93 = forged pistons, 93+ = hypereutectic pistons
    94-95 upper intake is shorter
    different computer
    accessories are different??

What else?

I know the car burns oil & possibly overheated 1 time. I know it needs an a/c compressor. Can I use 87-93 parts or do they need to be 94-95? Can I use a shortblock from any 302, then put on 94-95 styple intakes?

TIA

The intake setup is different, although it is very simple and better to convert to fox style tb. All the accessories are different. Otherwise they will interchange... Also a 351 will bolt directly in and with only an different intake for the 351 and exhaust..

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
      The intake setup is different, although it is very simple and better to convert to fox style tb.
      Are you saying just bolt it all on, and everything should be ok? What about the computer - will it recalibrate itself as long as I don't change maf and/or injectors? What about the intake fitting under the strut tower brace?

Comment

my 94gt w/302 with the edel. RPMII wont allow for the strut tower brace.

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by kenny c View Post
          Are you saying just bolt it all on, and everything should be ok? What about the computer - will it recalibrate itself as long as I don't change maf and/or injectors? What about the intake fitting under the strut tower brace?
          only stock intake fits under strut tower brace, and yes you can use a 302 out of a fox, thats what I had in mine when it was still 302. You can use a fox mass air it has the same plug just a different bolting arrangement, I had a cold air with a fox mass air. You can use fox exhaust too it just doesnt have the egr port in the header but you can delete the egr valve.

Comment

accessories are different, timing cover water pump all the front pieces will have to be put on the fox 302 if you were to use one. the oil pan I believe is different but dont know for sure. You can convert to fox style throttle body and use any fox intake or you can use the 94-95 elbow and use any fox style intake, injectors are the same, internals wont matter so as long as you use the right mass-air for the injectors then you should be able to put whatever you want in there. The distributor is different, coil is different, thats all the main stuff I can think of right now.

Comment

If I need the motor rebuilt - burns oil & overheated once - is it less expensive to have it rebuilt or try to find a used short block somewhere? Where is the best placed for used/rebuilt 302s?

Comment

Working...
              X