Need a little help/advice on doing an engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help/advice on doing an engine swap

Buddy of mine is looking to swap a 5.3 V8 out of a 2002 Yukon into his 1987 GMC truck. He's not very internet savvy so I told him I'd see if I can help with doing some parts research for him.

So far I've looked into the Painless Wiring Kit and from what I can tell he will need the following.

Fuel Injection Wiring Harness
    Painless Performance Products – Wiring, Switches, Relays, and More!

Chassis Harness
    Painless Performance Products – Wiring, Switches, Relays, and More!

Does this look right?

Not sure what transmission he's using but any ideas on where to look for motor and transmission mounts? Anything else he needs to look at?

Several companies make swap plates for the mounts, long tubes can be a pain, might be better selection now, if it's staying injected, gotta make sure the fuel system is designed to run 60psi, not the 40 like the older stuff and if he's gonna run the older transmission, there is a spacer and special flexplate for the older 6.0's to hook to the 4L80 that allows it to hook to Turbo350/400/700

Comment

Engine Swap Motor Mounts with Rubber Pads - Part Number 4592 (4592) by Trans-Dapt. Designed for success, this Trans-Dapt product will fulfill your performance cravings.

Something like these work good for the mounts

Comment

i used the dirty dingo slider mounts, i wouldnt suggest anything but those.. as far as the harness you will find a million different suggestions, but the one i hear most is PSI http://www.psiconversion.com/

no need to reinvent the wheel on something that has been done a million times over. also rather than ask these local yokels, try your hand at 67-72chevytrucks.com, and specifically, their lsx swap forum, as found here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=206

There is another guy (Blackpony)?? on here that has done two or three of these swaps into the square body trucks, hit him up..

But again, and I digress, this has been done and documented millions of times, dont vary too far, find a solid build and copy it to a tee. your shit will start the first crank of the key.

Comment

I'd make my own harness's and save that $1400. Just need supplies and time. Lots of time. Of and a good wire tech book.
          sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
          🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
            I'd make my own harness's and save that $1400. Just need supplies and time. Lots of time. Of and a good wire tech book.
            ??? the harness will be less than $600 shipped, and comes tagged/bagged, it is literally spelled out for you what goes to what.

Comment

Blackpony made a lot if not all of his harness, if you ask him he will probably tell you to just buy one.

Comment

I have cut to fit a factory harness. Buy one and save your brain cells.

Comment

Buy one. Unless you are a gluten for punishment like me. In that case build 3 or 4 until you get it how you like it. Or buy one already done. But really, just buy one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                    Buy one. Unless you are a gluten for punishment like me. In that case build 3 or 4 until you get it how you like it. Or buy one already done. But really, just buy one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktgNuQ61NHE[/ame]
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Hahaha. I watch that and thought what the fuck does that have to with...oh, oops, glutton. My bad. Well plaid.
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Painless is a little bit over hyped. Their wire is good quality but the fuse boxes are nothing great. Give Ron Francis wiring a shot; much better quality IMHO.

Wiring Harnesses, Electric Fan Controls, Accessories, Grounding, Lighting, Switches, Fuel Injection Harnesses, Wiring Aids and More!
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
                          I have learned the hard way that if there is something off the shelf that does what you want then it is a losing proposition to try to reinvent the wheel.
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                          X