No announcement yet.

3300 stall converter...Noise on decel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3300 stall converter...Noise on decel?

I recently put one of the GM Performance Connect and cruise setups in a buddies 65 impala and I'm chasing a weird noise. Combo is the CT525 LS3 and the 4L70 trans and suggested GM converter with all the GM controls pack. Combo runs fantastic and has about 250 miles on it so far.

What I'm hearing Sounds like a popping and wobbling you can feel in the floor board and steering column on decel and it gets worse as the speed increases over 40mph. if you barely tip in the throttle, the sound and vibration stops which makes me think driveline. I've checked converter/flexplate bolts and they are tight. The output shaft/yoke are nice and tight. Rear control arms are all new with new bushings and yes, there is rear end whine, but this is in the front of the car for sure. Front wheel bearings are all new as are ball joints and tie rods.

I've never had a high stall converter before and this may be normal, but it also happens when the TC clutch is locked up in 4th gear on the 4L70. Car is pretty loud and I have tried to see if it does it in 2nd or 1st, but need to try it again to be sure...I'm old and hard of hearing.

It honestly sounds like a rusted out body mount on the frame which is entirely possible as it is a 50 year old car and has been sitting on jackstands in a barn for 15 years....although it IS in really good condition considering.

I'm going to continue looking for loose stuff under the front of the car but input on converters with high stall and lock up would be great.

Thanks,

Check the slack in the rear end, of you have a drive on lift, leave car in neutral and see how far you can move the drive shaft. If there is a lot of slop pull the rear cover and check the gears and spiders.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
      Check the slack in the rear end, of you have a drive on lift, leave car in neutral and see how far you can move the drive shaft. If there is a lot of slop pull the rear cover and check the gears and spiders.
      yeah, already went there and no slop. Could be pitted bearings though given it sat so long, but I'm still thinking it's something forward of the driveshaft.

Comment

Working...
      X