Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strut mounts...why replace?

I have a quick question...

I was about to pay someone to install the front shocks on my truck. 2007 GMC Sierra, 2WD, with the new "strut design" setup. I don't feel like compressing springs with those cheap clamps you can rent from the parts house.

So, the guy that's doing the work is telling me to replace the strut mounts and bearings.

1) looking at strut mounts online, I don't see any moving parts. Why should I replace the mounts?
    2) I don't see strut bearings for this application. So does that support the first question that it's just a mount?

Sounds to me it just a spring seat. Anyone familiar with the front suspension on the 07 and up 2wd GM 1/2 tons?

this is what I'm finding at Oreilly's.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2953&ppt=C0035

Comment

They can cause a clunking sound sometimes. He's probably thinking about a conventional strut with a bearing at the top. Unless they are torn I wouldn't replace them but then again it's relatively cheap insurance.

Comment

the parts cost more but the labor will be less

Comment

I keep reading "stout moms"

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
            I keep reading "stout moms"

god bless.
            slut mound
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

If the strut mounts to the knuckle it rotates and acts as a pivot point. Typically this is only in a suspension that lacks an upper control arm. Not all mounts have a bearing, however it is more common to see strut bearings in front wheel drive smaller vehicles.

My 06 does not have struts, it has shocks all the way around

I hate spring compressors, there should be a better design for them. They are clunky and you spend more time working on the springs than you did to take them off of the car. Your strut mounts should be fine, a typical scenario when they would be replaced is due to rust or damage. Typically they are re used and only replaced if one of the mounting bolts breaks or the center strut nut is rusted onto the mount
              Last edited by 4king; 01-07-2016, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I wonder if this is what is causing the clunk in my 2008 MDX. Only when turning right (when the most pressure is on the front left ) do I hear a clunk like something is loose.

Comment

I ended up doing the work myself. The spring compressor at O'Reilly's wasn't that bad. It was pretty sturdy while compressing the spring. The only downside was that the coil was too thick to use the locking pins on the spring compressor.

BUT, I'm not sure if I have something going on after the install and alignment. Does this look like a normal range for the alignment to be out when replacing shocks? I can understand the toe being way out since I changed out both outer tie rods.

[IMG][/IMG]

It feels great on the highway. But driving around town, especially over patched up pot holes, I'm almost positive there is a rattle coming from the front end that wasn't there before. It just doesn't feel solid and the truck feels like it sits up higher. I'm going to look underneath and see if I can verify the part #'s to make sure I got the right part got in the box and it matches what I ordered.

Comment

Yeah as long as it's true afterwards then it is normal to see some sag with bad struts because you're bouncing down the road.

Rattles in the front end are typically cause by the sway bar end links, you want to get under the truck to grease everything up and inspect the bushings on the end links. At $12 each I would just replace them though and they are simple enough you could typically do them in the parking lot

Comment

Well, I replaced the sway bar links/bushings back in March/April and it never did get rid of the rattle. It felt a little better but a rattle was still there.

Well this weekend I decided to go through the entire process from start to finish. Turns out, I didn't tighten down the top strut nut enough. There was probably about 1/4" to go so I compressed the spring some more so that I could feel the nut bottom out when tightening. Put it all back together and that rattle is gone! The front end feels way more solid. Now I just need another alignment and I think I'll be good.

Bad part is I'm doing my brakes at the same time and have another issue when braking but I'm hoping it's caused by the wheels being out of alignment.

If anything, I hope this helps someone and keeps them from having the same issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X