First 302 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First 302 build

I know there is more than a few of you on here that have built or still build your own engines. So with that, is there any advice, tips or tricks you guys can offer to someone building his first one? I consider myself engine savvy and I have always gotten around my own Windsors confidently. I've done all the typical bolt-ons like intake, heads, and cam swaps but I've never assembled a short block from scratch. At this point in time the only thing I'm paying someone to do is the machine work on the block unless you guys recommend having something else done.

Anyway, TIA

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    --carlos

sigpic

Double check all clearances after machining and use a good torque wrench.
    07 GT500
    05 SRT10
    88 turbocoupe T-bird
    93 Cobra
    86 coupe
    Ducati 848

Comment

Buy an already assembled short block; there is only a minimal amount of skill needed to finish it.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Better yet, what is your budget? You might be able to find a short block or a built long block in the classifieds here, corral, etc. for a fraction of the cost of new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I always build all of my own, and typically build several per year for others too. There's a good piece of mind that goes with it....too many flakes these days for me to trust someone else unless you are dealing with a name brand shop. Besides all of that...it isn't difficult, and it's actually one of the things I enjoy doing.

Some things that come to mind that I always do...

- As already mentioned above, double-check all of your clearances...rods, mains, and ring gaps....if you don't have the measurement tools, Plastigage works just fine for this step. Use one of your pistons to push each ring into its respective cylinder, one at a time, so that they are in there square, and then use a feeler gauge to check gaps. If you need to open them up, use a very fine flat file...don't use a grinder or anything like that. Take your time on this step. And BTW - it probably goes without saying, but be sure to use good molly rings....avoid anything cast.
          - When you load up your rings on the pistons, make sure the gaps aren't aligned...out of habit, I always install them 180 degrees apart at 3 and 9 O'clock.
          - As also mentioned above, use a good torque wrench, and also put a little lube on your bolts.
          - When I have my bare block ready, the first thing I always do is use a tap with a little grease, and I chase every hole just to make sure they are all clean.
          - For assembly lube, I prefer Lubriplate #105. It's lithium based, and doesn't contain all the graphite you'll find in a lot of the standard store-bought stuff. I also use it to lightly coat my cylinders before I install each piston - this type of lube will burn off easy and not interfere with the rings setting on break-in.
          - Be sure that you get yourself a GOOD piston ring compressor....do not even attempt using one of those band style ones with the allen wrench, like they have at Vato Zone....they are junk, and you will damage rings if you use one of those.

I used a Bluepoint set like this for years, and they work pretty good, but the pliers eventually wore out -

Last year I bought some of this style, and I really like them (more than my old set) -

- One other old school trick that I always do - I hang my head gaskets from a piece of wire and lightly mist them with some metallic spray paint (I usually use silver Rustoleum), let them air dry a little until the are tacky, and then install them with the heads.

If you run into anything you have questions with, feel free to PM me any time....happy to help.
          70' Chevelle RagTop
          (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

What's the reasoning for spray painting head gaskets? And does the copper gasket prep aerosol give the same results?

Comment

Thanks Rreemo that's what I was looking for. What happened to this site? I remember 10-15 yrs ago almost everyone on here was building his own stuff. I should of learned from those people back then.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                What's the reasoning for spray painting head gaskets? And does the copper gasket prep aerosol give the same results?
                Ive used the copper coat aerosol, but never spray paint. I bet it works similarly, except the copper stays somewhat pliable.
                Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                Thanks Rreemo that's what I was looking for. What happened to this site? I remember 10-15 yrs ago almost everyone on here was building his own stuff. I should of learned from those people back then.

I used to build them frequently, but just dont do it much anymore. I built a gt40 longblock a couple months ago that's fresh on the stand, if you're interested.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Hey Baron, do you mean a gt40 headed longblock?

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                    Hey Baron, do you mean a gt40 headed longblock?

yes, that's exactly what I meant.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Details? I have a nephew that might be interested.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

Ill PM you.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                          Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                          Ive used the copper coat aerosol, but never spray paint. I bet it works similarly, except the copper stays somewhat pliable.
                          Yeah, I think probably the same concept/results. One of my best friends, actually a friend since grade school...his Dad was a racer/wrencher/builder for years...since back in the Green Valley heyday (still doing it today, even in his upper 70's). He was the first to actually teach me about engine assembly, back when I was a teenager I used to work at his shop in the summer time. He passed that tip off to me and I've always done it since...he always said that metallic paint works best too, and I have noticed that it has a better consistency while in a tacky state.

Now that I'm older and more experienced myself, I think this might've been a practice that guys came up with before the integrity of gaskets came to where it is today. Is it necessary now-a-days?...probably not, but its never failed me and I'm still of the belief that it couldn't hurt....so I stick with it.
                          70' Chevelle RagTop
                          (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post

I used to build them frequently, but just dont do it much anymore. I built a gt40 longblock a couple months ago that's fresh on the stand, if you're interested.
                            Any money to be made in semi stock rebuilds? I've been thinking about doing exactly this for a bit of fun money.

Comment

pm Mike91coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X