Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual transmission drivers in here!

Good day lads. (Howdy folks)

I had a question that perhaps some of you fine folk could help me resolve.

My manual gearbox is getting... Gammy? Sticky? I am unsure, I can shift fine but it becomes rough in cold weather and on Monday I couldnt shift out of 5th or Reverse. (I left the car in reverse when I shut her down).

Anywho, has anyone experienced this? I am running a diesel engine if that means anything. I did clean out the linkage cable (as the cable snapped last year) but perhaps that could be it? Or would it be the shifter itself?

Any help would be very appreciated. Murica
    First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

What transmission?
    Scott Ganow
    Lone Star Performance
    16300 Midway Rd
    Addison, TX 75001
    214-630-5006

Comment

Can you get it out of gear once the engine is off? Generally speaking, If it's stuck even with the engine off, it's an internal or shift linkage problem. If it's acting up only while the engine is on, you would be looking at a clutch or cable issue.

Comment

sounds like you need to adjust the clutch pedal, or replace the clutch. Possibly bad throw out bearing too, or low fluid in the trans.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Star Performance View Post
          What transmission?
          It is a Manual transmission on a 1.5L Nissan Diesel.

To go back and describe it better. The clutch was replaced at 110K miles along with slip plate.

The problem is not getting in gear or out of it. It is the intermediary. I get stress and resistance moving from Neutral into 1st 2nd 3rd etc.

When it was 28 degrees last week my gears could move into neutral but I couldnt move the shifter to the left for it to shift into 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th. I could only move the shifter back and forth from 5th and Reverse. When I pushed it HARD to the left I got it to manage to move it to the left afterwards. It felt like it was frozen.

Is it possible that the gear linkage can freeze over and prevent me from moving the gears? I is confused as this is my first manual transmission car.

Comment

Is it a hydraulic clutch? It sounds like bad clutch hydraulics.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
              Is it a hydraulic clutch? It sounds like bad clutch hydraulics.
              I very highly doubt it as the new cars cost around $10k

Regards

Comment

The previous responses are the first culprits to check when you have shifting problems.

If there is a problem with the clutch or cable, the transmission may not disengage enough to comfortably shift gears while engine is running.

If you can move the gearshift lever through its normal range of operation while the engine is not running, suspect something is wrong with the clutch.

You later describe having trouble moving the gearshift lever in the neutral area of the shifters range. (Left - Right) This issue sounds more like there is something internal regarding the transmission that should be checked out.

Cold temperatures are unlikely to be a factor with the issue you describe.

If it is the transmission, before committing to a potential costly rebuild check if any salvage yards might have a used unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stangs 4 Life View Post

If it is the transmission, before committing to a potential costly rebuild check if any salvage yards might have a used unit.
                  I will check, they should have many of them. Its a pretty popular car. However if its not worth the trouble I might scrap it once it fails as the car is only worth about $1000

Comment

Working...
                  X