I smell coolant but I can't find any leak - 06 Silverado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I smell coolant but I can't find any leak - 06 Silverado

Truck is 10 years old with 93k. I don't drive it very often so after sitting for two weeks I started it and let it warm up for 10-15 min with the heater turned off. I hopped in and the coolant smell hit me hard. The heater worked fine and the temps are normal.

Passenger floorboard is not wet. No spots on the ground where it's parked. Coolant overflow tank has fluid.

I started driving it everyday to see if I can get it to do it again but no dice. Now after driving it I can smell it outside of the vehicle. I have a new core ready to be installed but I'm not convinced that's the problem.

Other than the water pump weeping, what else could be the issue?
    I'd rather trade it in than remove the dash.

Water pump gaskets are common.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Could be a microscopic crack in the radiator letting fluid/vapor escape. If you've got the plastic end tanks on the radiator and it's the original unit I'd say that a new radiator is in your future.

Comment

Heater hose connector has a crack and is leaking.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
          Water pump gaskets are common.
          All great suggestions

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
          Could be a microscopic crack in the radiator letting fluid/vapor escape. If you've got the plastic end tanks on the radiator and it's the original unit I'd say that a new radiator is in your future.
          Everything is original on it except it looks like the alternator bolts have been removed before.

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
          Heater hose connector has a crack and is leaking.
          These are the connections that I would access under the hood at the firewall?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
            All great suggestions

Everything is original on it except it looks like the alternator bolts have been removed before.

These are the connections that I would access under the hood at the firewall?

Thanks
            Yep they are notorious for drying out and becoming very brittle. So if you touch one and it falls to dust, enjoy it lol. They're a pain in the ass to get off.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Working...
            X