Found some old lanterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found some old lanterns

Found some old lanterns in my grandfathers garage and had a question. What is the difference between kerosine and parafin and all that other old shit that all those old lanterns/lamps ran on? Can a parafin lamp run on kerosine? And vice versa? Thought I'd hang 'em up in my storage shed as opposed to having to bury a wire and run electricity all the way out to it.

Paraffin is Briitish for Kerosene. Just get a good quality ordorless kerosene and burn away.

I collect kerosene lanterns so if you need to id these let me know.

Wayne in FW

Comment

I burn citronella oil in mine to help fight off mosquito's in the spring and summer months.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcongunner View Post
        Paraffin is Briitish for Kerosene. Just get a good quality ordorless kerosene and burn away.

I collect kerosene lanterns so if you need to id these let me know.

Wayne in FW
        Ok so any non smelly kerosine would be fine. Also, what is the max temperature that you would store unpressurized paraffin at? It gets pretty hot in that shed in the summer. You know, say I bought a bottle of lamp oil from wal-mart and I wanted to keep it out there.

Comment

Kero flash point is 100-162*F (requires ignition source)
          autoignition is 428*F.

I have never worried about storage and as long as the lantern does not leak, only exposed kero is on the wick. So at worst it could just light on it own but I have never heard of that happening. Way better than gasoline and we store those mowers and chainsaws in hot sheds and barn with no problems. I would just hang it so it is not up near the ceiling.

Wayne in FW

Comment

Aw man I didn't even think about googling for the flash point, sorry about that. Thanks for the info though. Man that's a high flash point really. My shed may get hot in the texas heat, but it ain't never gonna get no 428 degrees lol.

But yeah, I have been thinking of starting an old lantern collection now too. Well, maybe not an old lantern collection. That might get a little too expensive for my. But I'd like to start a collection of new lanterns, that look old. Got any recommendations of a cool looking lantern that just runs on lamp oil from wal-mart? I'm really not into the colemans cause they are loud and they don't burn an old days looking flame.

Comment

Take a look at http://www.lanternnet.com/faqs.htm .

When I first started a collection I hit the antique malls and just bought stuff I thought looked cool. I then bought every book on lanterns and learned what was rare and what they were worth. The antique mall prices were all over the place and mostly over priced. Railroad and ship lanterns are the most expensive. I then started buying off ebay and found good prices and an outstanding variety. Then I decided I should stop collecting for a while after a hundred or so lanterns. There are a few reproductions (china made) out there that are fun lanterns. See the web site above for fuel recomendations.

Most old lanterns can be bought for $25 - $75. Good hunting

Wayne in FW

Comment

That site looks like a great resource. I haven't read very far into it but, what about mining lanterns? Seems like they might look unique and be worth some money.

Also I wanted to ask you if you could post some pictures of your most prized lanterns, I'd love to see them. Also some of your coolest or weirdest looking ones, even if they aren't worth much. Give me some ideas of some that I might like to buy.

Comment

Working...
                X