Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figuring compression ratio for 347

Buying a fox w/ a 347... want to figure out CR

Heads are TF 170 fast as cast. From what i've found all 170s are the same. I realize the motor could benefit from a larger head but hey that's what it's got with a TFS st 1 cam.

Rotating assembly:
    Forged .030 Pistons
    Flat-Top Piston Design- (-11cc valve reliefs)
    Pro-Stock I-Beam Rods
    3/8" Cap Screws
    ARP 8740 Rod Bolts
    3.400" Stroke Series 9000 Cast Crankshaft
    5.4" Rod Length

My whole reasoning is I'd like to add boost and I'm seeing conflicting information. I have the option of 91 or E85 where I live. I see guys saying Meth is a must with higher CR and I see others say they are running pump gas tunes with greater than 10:1 CR. Seems to be no consensus and I'm pretty green to this kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance.

the consensus is people are stupid. Boost it.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Need the head gasket bore and compressed thickness, and deck height (piston top depth in bore at TDC) to calculate CR.

And also CC volume, but that's easy to look up.

Comment

Man I dont know that stuff other than they are 61cc heads. The rotating assembly was bought as a kit from somewhere.

Comment

food for thought, the new ecoboost engines are 10 to 1 from the factory.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Direct Injection, bore size, chamber design, etc really help the EB motors
            Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

sure, but the " turbo motors need low compression" is a myth. The guys making big power with SBF's arent running low compression. Brooks and the like have higher than factoy compression with lots of boost.

OP, what block is in the car? All of this may be a very moot point if it's not aftermarket.

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
                Man I dont know that stuff other than they are 61cc heads. The rotating assembly was bought as a kit from somewhere.
                Here's a calc with some assumptions for you:

Cylinder Bore Size: 4.030"
                Stroke Length: 3.4"
                Head Gasket Bore Diameter: 4.1" (FelPro 1011-1)
                Compressed Head Gasket Thickness: 0.41"
                Combustion Chamber Volume: 61cc
                Piston Dish Volume: 11cc
                Piston Deck Clearance: 0.010" (a lot of people will zero deck when doing new builds... I assumed yours is not and used something probably close)

That comes out to a static compression ratio of 9.567:1

The deck height won't do much for your static compression, but it affects your quench volume, and optimizing (lowering) quench volume can allow you to run higher compression with fewer detonation concerns.

If you're really concerned about it you could dig into dynamic compression ratios, but with an assembled shortblock and a cam already installed you can only do so much.

Comment

How much boost you can run with a given CR depends greatly on the cam specs.
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                    food for thought, the new ecoboost engines are 10 to 1 from the factory.
                    direct injection = zero chance of pre-detonation/dieseling
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

with that said, if you have E85 readily available, 9.5-10.5:1 and some boost wouldn't scare me a bit. Ethanol fucking loves boost

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                        with that said, if you have E85 readily available, 9.5-10.5:1 and some boost wouldn't scare me a bit. Ethanol fucking loves boost
                        Finally rounded up a thunderturd superpoop for Junkyard wars and I am headed to the E85 promised land with it.
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                          Finally rounded up a thunderturd superpoop for Junkyard wars and I am headed to the E85 promised land with it.
                          200lb injectors, here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                            200lb injectors, here we come!
                            I have an extremely accurate fuel system in mind for it. It comes with 30lbers. E85 requires about 40% more fuel so I am figuring if I replace the 30s with 42s and just don't mention it to the computer I should be precisely where I need to be.

Comment

get an LA3 computer set up for 35's

Comment

Working...
                              X