Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5.4L backfire through intake and idle surge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.4L backfire through intake and idle surge.

Need some help guys, this truck is kicking my ass. It's my dads old 01 F150 king ranch with the 5.4L. It spit out a spark plug and I had some PI 4.6l heads off a romeo mustang sitting around. I slapped them on, got it all back together and now it's doing something weird.

Fire it up and it runs great in the upper RPM range, say about 2K RPM and above. Let it idle and it surges big time. Dips to almost dying, then surges back up to 1200RPM or so. It's also popping and backfiring through the intake when this happens.

Thought I got the timing off, so I pulled the valve covers and the timing marks are still lined up where they're supposed to be. On top of that, I thought it would have PTV issues if it was even off a tooth. So far I have done:
    • Checked codes, there are none
    • Checked Compression. 185PSI on all cylinders
    • Checked for vacuum leaks, found none
    • Checked timing, appears OK
    • Checked fuel pressure, normal.

So yeah, I am stumped here. I hear the cat converters crackling like it's dumping raw fuel. Unplugging the MAF helps some, but it still surges badly. I'm completely demoralized and need some ideas.

Going to check the fuel injectors next, but I doubt that they're bad. Any ideas?

Did you port the 4.6 heads? I know the 5.4 heads flow more than the 4.6.
    They bolt right on but are different

Comment

Originally posted by Super Cubano View Post
      Did you port the 4.6 heads? I know the 5.4 heads flow more than the 4.6.
      They bolt right on but are different
      4.6L and 5.4l are the exact same head. Only difference is windsor vs romeo, and that is just the cam girdle and valve cover bolts.

Comment

My money is on injectors

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          My money is on injectors
          I believe you would be correct. I unplugged 6 injectors and it idled much better. No, that isn't a typo, 6 injectors. Plugged in some 19lbs injectors that I took off from a towncar and it wasn't surging at all with those. One of them is leaking though.

Comment

Swapped the injectors, no change. Still popping through the intake, passenger head is making a weird knocking noise at very low idle. Checked compression again, still good. Tore timing cover back off, timing marks still lined up. At a loss here.

Comment

Sure sounds like it's out of time.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Got it, was the STUPIDEST fucking thing. Big damned vacuum port that's right under the IAC valve and is impossible to see, left the line off from it. I might have had a hulk level meltdown when I found it. This was after I tore the timing cover off only to find that it was fine.

Comment

Usually something simple like that. Glad you found it

Comment

Working...
                  X