Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help getting my car to run right to pass emissions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help getting my car to run right to pass emissions....

Ran a self test, got 564, 721, and 821. 90/90 on cylinder balance test ran 2x. Got a check eng light on while driving home down the highway for a few min then it went off. car ran normal. also have a surging idle even with a new IAC. Surging idle also came on recently, IAC was replaced a month ago and has been running normally until last 2 weeks. Eng has stalled a few times, both times when pulling out of a parking spot. Re fired immediately. Also struggling to pass emissions test... Here are the results for that...

95 Cobra, all stock. 200k.
    Since the second test I have replaced the spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter. Car has a functioning EGR valve. I have not been able to go retest the car since the tune up.
    I want to check my smog pump for functionality, but unsure of the test procedure. I'm trying to not have to buy new cat's if I can help it...

Any ideas? Tips, hints, help in general?

Initial test results were with O/R H pipe ( I didn't realize the car did not have cats..)

High Speed Emissions Results (25mph)

Standard Current reading
    HC(ppm) 108 136 FAIL
    CO(%) 0.60 1.07 F
    CO2(%) no std given 10.50 F
    O2(%) " " 6.4 F
    NOx(ppm) 751 1179 F
    DILUTION(%) >6 11.6

Low Speed Emissions Results (15mph)

Standard Current reading
    HC(ppm) 112 198 FAIL
    CO(%) 0.62 0.93 F
    CO2(%) no std given 10.6 F
    O2(%) " " 6.3 F
    NOx(ppm) 829 1424 F
    DILUTION(%) >6 11.5

SECOND TEST WITH OEM CATTED H-PIPE (4 CATALYTIC CONVERTORS ON OEM H-PIPE)
    *Performed at a different inspection station as initial station machine stopped working

High Speed Emissions Results (25mph) @ 2388 RPM
    HC(PPM) Standard Current reading
    HC(ppm) 117 141 FAIL
    CO(%) 0.65 1.08 F
    CO2(%) no std given 11.5 F
    O2(%) " " 4.5 F
    NOx(ppm) 821 1036 F
    DILUTION(%) >6.0 12.58 PASS

Low Speed Emissions Results (15mph) @ 2427 RPM
    Standard Current reading
    HC(ppm) 120 151 FAIL
    CO(%) 0.67 1.00 F
    CO2(%) no std given 11.5 F
    O2(%) " " 4.5 F
    NOx(ppm) 907 1032 F
    DILUTION(%) >6 12.5 PASS
    1995 Cobra #404
    1994 Cobra #1968 **traded**
    1991 LX Hatch 5.0-Sold

The high HC means the cats aren't working, that is a pretty good indicator. If those are your OEM cats they are probably long gone. You should post your results up on the Corral, there are some guys there who can give you some help. The California guys are very good with emissions.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Forget the cats. You don't want/need them anyway. The problem is most likely in the mixture. Clean and test all your sensors starting with the MAF, check fuel pressure and look for any vacuum leaks. Don't forget to reset the computer and give it time to re-learn and run properly before you test it again.

...and eighty-six the smog system. I'm sure by now it's just noise :/

Comment

Yup second that, cats not working optimally. If i remember right your dilution seems about spot on for an air pump car but its been so long since ive messed with asm test so cant say 100 percent.

Comment

Go to the VW dealership and ask for one of their special emissions test ecu programs.
          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Leave a case of beer on the seat when you take it for emissions test and all will be ok.
            Originally posted by Da Prez
            Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
            Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced4v View Post
              Leave a case of beer on the seat when you take it for emissions test and all will be ok.
              Oh no don't do that, the county is putting people in jail for that nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced4v View Post
                Been there done that, got an inspection.

Comment

How did you run a self test? I have the same car and haven't had it legal in years and was thinking about giving it one more shot before waiting out the 25 years.

Comment

Jumped the connections on the dignostics port to get the car into test mode
                    1995 Cobra #404
                    1991 LX Hatch 5.0-Sold

Comment

Oh I misunderstood and thought you some how got the emission results in a self test.

Comment

Wish I had access to a 3 gas machine and a dyno so I could test, make adj, test, etc till I get it right.
                        1995 Cobra #404
                        1991 LX Hatch 5.0-Sold

Comment

tell the guy to lay the sniffer on the ground and stfu haha

Comment

Originally posted by hawaii5.0 View Post
                            Oh no don't do that, the county is putting people in jail for that nowadays.
                            I think that has always been the case if caught
                            Originally posted by Da Prez
                            Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                            Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Did you try pulling the spout out of the dizzy? Mine failed miserably. pulled it passed with flying colors.

Comment

Working...
                              X