Help with no start issue 96 5.7L Z71

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with no start issue 96 5.7L Z71

Friends truck starter is clicking loudly once every time u turn the key. as if the gear is shooting out but not turning the flywheel. The engine never turns over. Replaced starter and battery today and still nothing.

Apparently he replaced the fuel pressure regulator today. Once he buttoned up the plenum and tried to start, it did what I described above. He's at a loss for words as to what is wrong. Lmk what I need to tell him or what other info I need to grab from him.
    Last edited by Tannerm; 08-19-2016, 09:27 PM.

So is the starter spinning? Is the flywheel missing teeth?

Comment

No spin. We cranked the engine by hand in case there were teeth missing. Cranked it a few turns and then retried the starter. Same crap.

Comment

Have you checked the voltage at the starter when cranking? My guess would be a loose connection somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
          Have you checked the voltage at the starter when cranking? My guess would be a loose connection somewhere.
          +1. Loose connection or bad ground makes the most sense here.

Comment

Those are a motherfucker because of the dual terminals at the positive connection of the starter. The smaller lead that feeds over to the fuse box will supply power to the ignition switch which will energize the starter giving the click. The large cable to the starter can have a poor connection or bad cable and not supply the solenoid the voltage to actually make the starter turn. I'd start at the battery and dual cable and work down to the stater .

Comment

Carefully jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver across both terminals. Does the starter turn the engine over? since its a 97 I would replace the starter wires with new ones. also check to make sure the post on battery isn't stripped. a lot of the side post setups can do this make sure its tightened down good.
              Last edited by Captain Crawfish; 08-21-2016, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X