Tire talk for the 5.0.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire talk for the 5.0.

Well, I've gone through 2-sets of Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's in two years. I never take the traction control off and I don't want to be that guy at C&C's highlight reel.
    The cheap Pirellis that came with the car and my second set of those, both got me almost 50k miles, the Michelin's that are rated at 45K didn't even get close.

Anyone have a tire they love and get decent miles?
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

My old Nitto NT555 front tires lasted me 70k miles and they had worn really well. They've since been replaced with the 'G2' version.

The NT555 G2 has traction and wet-breaking capabilities to get you off the line quickly, provide stability in the straights and confidence in the corners.

In general, tires don't last real long on a 400hp 3600lb car.
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
      They've since been replaced with the 'G2' version.
      How do you like the G2 tires compared to the 555?

Comment

My old Nitto NT555 front tires lasted me 70k miles and they had worn really well. They've since been replaced with the 'G2' version.

The NT555 G2 has traction and wet-breaking capabilities to get you off the line quickly, provide stability in the straights and confidence in the corners.

In general, tires don't last real long on a 400hp 3600lb car.
        I hear ya and up here in Collin County every road is made of concrete and in the summer it can cause the tires to wear pretty fast. If it wasn't for those noisy Pirellis I'd buy them again, but I swear I had to tun up the Shaker system just to drown out the noise.

I might have to buy those if you got that kind of mileage out of them.
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I run nitto motivos, have about 16k on them and they still look brand new, I like them better than any other tire I have run on a mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
            I run nitto motivos, have about 16k on them and they still look brand new, I like them better than any other tire I have run on a mustang.
            I was just reading the reviews on the G2 and I looked up the Motivos as well. I might put the G2's on the back and run the Motivos on the front. I just did a rotation so I might be good til next spring on the fronts, but now that the weather is starting to get cooler the Michelins are really losing traction, the other day I hit second and it lit them up and I wasn't even trying. These Michelins are not very good as they get closer to the wear guards.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
              How do you like the G2 tires compared to the 555?
              What I wrote was a little confusing, sorry. It's Nitto that has replaced the NT555 with the NT555 G2.

I did replace tires, but I am running Hankook R-S3s all around now. They have a ton of grip when it's warm, and do well in the rain. But when it's cold out they are pretty miserable. I don't expect a lot of miles out of them. They've been ~15k so far and are a little over halfway done. That's pretty decent for a 200 treadwear tire that was intended for a spec tire racing series.

Comment

What I wrote was a little confusing, sorry. It's Nitto that has replaced the NT555 with the NT555 G2.

I did replace tires, but I am running Hankook R-S3s all around now. They have a ton of grip when it's warm, and do well in the rain. But when it's cold out they are pretty miserable. I don't expect a lot of miles out of them. They've been ~15k so far and are a little over halfway done. That's pretty decent for a 200 treadwear tire that was intended for a spec tire racing series.
                that's the type of tire we would run on our race cars.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

15k and halfway, that's fking amazing. I get like 10k out of any of the 200tw's, and thats in a 150hp 2400lb miata. I do take every corner like it's a challenge though. People are funny with tires, I've heard people hate on the pzero's that come stock on the mustangs and I think they are great, they do need heat, some folks talk about almost wrecking with them cold, just gotta keep that in mind. They start off playful then get warm and turn serious.
                  Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                    15k and halfway, that's fking amazing. I get like 10k out of any of the 200tw's, and thats in a 150hp 2400lb miata. I do take every corner like it's a challenge though. People are funny with tires, I've heard people hate on the pzero's that come stock on the mustangs and I think they are great, they do need heat, some folks talk about almost wrecking with them cold, just gotta keep that in mind. They start off playful then get warm and turn serious.
                    They have lasted longer than I was told they(PZero) would, but I agree, they suck cold.
                    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                    86 SVO - Sold
                    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      that's the type of tire we would run on our race cars.
                      I've been really happy with them as a street tire. The only thing that sucks is, they've been discontinued.

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                      15k and halfway, that's fking amazing.
                      I don't drive it all that hard. The rears are going to need replacing pretty soon. I can probably get another 10-15 out of the fronts.

I've heard people hate on the pzero's that come stock on the mustangs and I think they are great
                      I think the stock Pirellis can be blamed on at least half the crashes of these cars. Mine was a Brembo GT, with supposedly stickier 255/40 "summer" Pirellis. They were garbage! Maybe if I could give it a 2-lap warm up first they would be fine, but for normal street driving on cold wet streets they were downright dangerous.

Comment

The stock 255/40 pirellis weren't half bad once you got some heat in them. Cut some 1.9 60's with them on the track, but as stated they quickly dwindled (11K miles).
                        Afterwards I went with Hankook Ventus v12's, from a price to performance ratio they were appealing to me. Wet traction was pretty scary at times and towards the end of their life the car felt unsafe even on blacktop roads under spirited acceleration. Switched to Michelin Pilot SS late last year and couldnt be happier with them. Wet traction is night and day from my previous tires and they grip really well through turns.

Comment

I've been really happy with them as a street tire. The only thing that sucks is, they've been discontinued.

I don't drive it all that hard. The rears are going to need replacing pretty soon. I can probably get another 10-15 out of the fronts.

I think the stock Pirellis can be blamed on at least half the crashes of these cars. Mine was a Brembo GT, with supposedly stickier 255/40 "summer" Pirellis. They were garbage! Maybe if I could give it a 2-lap warm up first they would be fine, but for normal street driving on cold wet streets they were downright dangerous.
                          I damn near spun out on the track pack tires taking a very mild ( leaving the grocery store ) left turn on black top.

Comment

My pirellis didn't even last 500 miles.

Comment

NT555 G2's are my favorite tire. Happy to hook anyone up with a set, anytime.

Comment

Working...
                              X