Newbie - first engine build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - first engine build

When i was younger I had a few sports cars and did alot of modifications, but I never really did anything myself and had others do the work for me. My lightning was my fastest and best car I have ever owned. I had about 440 rwhp and was running 12 flats...

But then wife and I had more children and other things came up, and my toys have long gone. lately, Iv had the urge for another "toy" but this time I want to go a different route. Instead of buying a brand new sports car, I want to get something older and built it myself.

my thought is this, since I dont know alot about engines myself, I wouldnt buy a car at all. Just buy an engine block and start building it up myself. This way I still have a project, but gives me alot to learn over time vs. rushing into buying a car. Since Ill build it myself, ill know down the road how to fix it and upgrade it myself. Plus could be some good bonding time with my 10 year old son.

So with that being said, my ultimate goal is a 1987-1988 Mustang GT with T-Tops. A friend had one in high school and I loved it. Why they stopped making ttops I dont know. But I dont want something that is mainly a drag car. I want something that is still very driveable and more of a show type car than a race car. but id still like it to be pretty fast. If i could get it to run low 12s like my lightning did, Id be pretty happy.

Now I am on a bit of a budget, so I dont want to go all balls out and spend $10k + on engine alone. But again, id rather have something closer to stock condition anyway. So i was doing a little reading and thinking and thought a 302 5.0 stroker might be best way for me to go. I can get a 302 block pretty cheap and start tinkering and learning.

In my reading I read to get a mexican 302 because they are stronger. but how and where would I find one of those?

Looking for any and all ideas and advice. Thanks!

any ideas what a 302 stroker would end up costing if I did most the stuff myself? Maybe try and get a few used things here and there if I can (like the short block for sure)..

Comment

TITS or GTFO

Originally posted by DOHCTR
      You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Dont do that to a Ttop car. Get a 4 banger coupe/hatch and build it out of that.

Before that, Post tits or GTFO.

Comment

I got a 86 t-top I will sell ya dirt cheap with a title . I also have a bare roller block I will throw in . The car needs lots of work but if you want a t-top its a place to start . I just have to many cars and need to move a few .
          Big Rooster Racing

Comment

lsx swap

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
              lsx swap

ls1+tits=your ok.......you+post-tits=gtfo mf'er
              Ded

Comment

Originally posted by dumpycapri85 View Post
                I got a 86 t-top I will sell ya dirt cheap with a title . I also have a bare roller block I will throw in . The car needs lots of work but if you want a t-top its a place to start . I just have to many cars and need to move a few .
                man, wish it were 87+, really want a foxbody ttop.

Comment

79-86 are the best foxbodies ! 4-eye FTMFW !
                  Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Originally posted by dumpycapri85 View Post
                    79-86 are the best foxbodies ! 4-eye FTMFW !
                    i had a guy at Autozone the other day tell me they where maverick bodys! i laughed for a few hours after that!

Comment

Working...
                    X