edelbrock guys what am I missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edelbrock guys what am I missing?

I have a 302 with a mild cam in my mustang. I have a edelbrock 1805 650 cfm carburetor that I got used. I took everything out of the carb including jets and blew out and sprayed cleaner threw all ports and passages. Put all new gaskets in and a brand new accelerator pump when i put back together. The car will idle great and in high rpms it runs great. The problem i am having is a bad hesitation under low rpms. If I stomp the gas it goes fine but if I try to maintain a speed the motor chugs. I checked the vacuum and it seems to be good in that regard. Let me know if you have had any similar problems. thanks
    Last edited by ma67cpe; 03-20-2011, 09:40 PM.
    Originally posted by Baron
    If I dissagree with you, it is because you are wrong.

could be a number of things from the carb to timing curve. The metering rods and springs could be wrong for your combo.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
      could be a number of things from the carb to timing curve. The metering rods and springs could be wrong for your combo.
      I was afraid of that answer

Comment

insert obligatory "buy a holley" comment here

Comment

Originally posted by Damnittsteve View Post
          insert obligatory "buy a holley" comment here
          might be true, but they're never perfect out of the box. It's easier just having to do jet changes with the holley rather than jets, metering rods, and springs in the edelbrock

Comment

Do you have the tuning kit with all rods/springs/jets?

I have tuned 5-6 of those. 3 for myself and 2 for friends. All but one ended up being replaced by holley DP's.
            Anything much bigger than a stock cam will be very hard to tune. The secondaries just cannot flow enough air in my experience. This is why they came out with the 800+cfm version.
            You may be extremely lean in the midrange if you are good at idle and wot.

The tuning kits need about three times the metering rod's available to properly tune.

Comment

Originally posted by lilvega View Post
              Do you have the tuning kit with all rods/springs/jets?

I have tuned 5-6 of those. 3 for myself and 2 for friends. All but one ended up being replaced by holley DP's.
              Anything much bigger than a stock cam will be very hard to tune. The secondaries just cannot flow enough air in my experience. This is why they came out with the 800+cfm version.
              You may be extremely lean in the midrange if you are good at idle and wot.

The tuning kits need about three times the metering rod's available to properly tune.
              No I have not bought a kit yet.

Where are you located? Would you mind taking a look at mine?

I have a holley at my house as well but I need float bowls for that. I would rather use the edelbrock though because it is more a set and forget carb

Comment

Junk Carb !! Get rid of it !!!! Put a 600 cfm Holley and you should have no more problems !!!!!
                If ya have any more questions just give me a shout.
                When advice is free ! Buy it !!
                817-372-9844
                Tony "Holeshot"

Comment

Originally posted by holeshot View Post
                  Junk Carb !! Get rid of it !!!! Put a 600 cfm Holley and you should have no more problems !!!!!
                  If ya have any more questions just give me a shout.
                  When advice is free ! Buy it !!
                  817-372-9844
                  Tony "Holeshot"
                  I replaced a 600 holley carb with this one. Holley ran good but I couldn't keep it set up. Now it needs float bowls

Comment

Originally posted by ma67cpe View Post
                    I replaced a 600 holley carb with this one. Holley ran good but I couldn't keep it set up. Now it needs float bowls
                    i have a 600 with bowls! carb is junk but the bowls are good im sure!

Comment

on edelbrock back each screw in till it cuts out and then turn back 1/2 to 3/4 turn. edelbrock has these videos on their websites for free. holley is good but harder to maintain and keep tuned. float in ede carbs ternd to get stuck
                      http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...g/P1010006.jpg

Comment

I had the stuttering problems too with my Edlebrock 650, turns out I had a bad fuel pump and a lot of junk in the carb that came out of the rusty fuel line before switching it out to a new one.

Have you checked the rubber on your fuel pump? Mine tore and was pumping less than it was supposed to.

Comment

Working...
                        X