No announcement yet.

96 5.0 AWD Explorer Build : Project Tornado Exploder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good deal. I'll keep you in mind when I go.

Comment

Originally posted by KWClutch View Post
      No, I want good advice relevant to what I want to do with the vehicle. And not just your own one sentence opinions but why. I'm open to different lift suggestions, different tires and different motor modifications. I am doing full exhaust, CAI and bigger T/B. But specific brands and combos would be helpful.
      lol, If you are so certain what is and what isn't "good" advice, then why do you want opinions?
      If you need explanations feel free to ask.
      I never said anything about "just a body lift". I dislike body lifts because they only allow for fender clearance for tires in the best of situations, nothing more. The frame, bumpers and all attached hardware stay low. Any body to frame pieces need to be paid attention to in order to ensure proper fitment and operation. I have seen a few cases where the lift causes stress fractures in the cab. That, and they just look and feel cheap. I used the term "real" lift to desribe a suspension lift of any kind, even suspension spacers. I am not advocating the $1500 packages most manufacturers peddle. Many of my setups have been cobbled together from seperate purchases.

As for budget "lifts" to get a size up tire under it, I believe daystar type spacers are still made for it, as well as leveling coils for a ranger. Add a leafs would work well in the back. I don't remember if your model has the torsion bar front or not, that would allow for a free 2" or less of tire clearance, but affect the ride. There are lots of options, research is key.
      I'll never buy another set of bfg at's they don't clean themselves at all and they are more of an "all season" tire, rather than a true all terrain. It was the worst "off road" style tire I have ever used as far as traction.

Justify your "buddy" ported heads and old alphabet cam idea anyway you want. I did the same thing on many of my past vehicles, hell I think I put five different cams in one F150. My time is worth more to me now than when I was younger. Hence my argument that the money and time put into removal, doing head work, installing garage ported e7's, & installing a letter cam on factory high mile valve springs, is not worth the return in power. Time money and effort can be better allocated, unless your time is worth significantly less.

As for your last point, I've driven lifted explorers. Yes, they don't tip over for no reason. But they are easier to get on their side than many many other vehicles. I wouldn't even think about trying to "chase tornadoes" in one.

Comment

The TFS stg 1 cam with matchihng springs will kick the shit out of that E-Cam. I wouldn't waste my time porting those heads. Get the lower ported by T-Moss, fresh springs, and the TFS cam. Done..........

Comment

Sounds like a steal. If this guy talks you out of it, I'll give you $600 for it LOL.

I do tend to agree on porting the heads/intake. Maybe just do a little cleanup on them and put some fresh springs on them. I would find something better than the E cam though as that cam has no power below 2500 rpms and with an automatic trans with tight converter, that will suck. When I first put an E303 and twisted wedges on my GT with stock AOD and stock stall with 3.73 gears, the thing wouldn't spin the tires on blacktop from a dead start. Now you get to rolling in 1st gear and punch it at about 20 mph, it would break the tires loose and get sideways. Had no low end at all. That said if you want to spend the money on the cam, talk to a custom cam grinder and get something that has some low end balls.

Personally if the motor is sound with no problems but you want some more power, consider building your own turbo kit. There's a guy down here in houston that did his own setup on an explorer and I think he was running high 11s or bottom 12s with a stock motor.
          Carl S.
          2014 Ruby Red Premium GT A6, stock for now
          80 Coupe, Stroked 9.2" Windsor, Yates C3, Dominator, glide, 9.60s n/a, 1.27 sixty 5.48@127.8 nitrous on radials.
          9.32@128 pedaling it half track
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I'm only looking at getting a little more kick out of the 5.0. Like a 30-40hp difference. As far as the lift goes I want to lift it as little as possible to get a bigger set of wheels and tires in there. Hopefully I won't have to do any high speed getaways but I mainly wanted something that was reliable and strong enough to get me out of a tight spot. I thought about getting an old powerstroke but I needed something of a SUV to get the shots and storage I'd need on a long trip.

Comment

Working...
            X