Oreilly rack and pinion vs flaming river

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oreilly rack and pinion vs flaming river

Can I run the sealed power manual rack and pinion for a 79 mustang on an 85? and what do you gain from spending the 239$ on a flaming river manual rack and pinion?

I would expect that you would also be out a core charge if your do not have a manual rack you will be trading in. It could be higher than the cost of the unit in some cases. You will still need a flaming river steering shaft and possibly new tie rods. Other than that, it is not shiny in the center?

Comment

Im runnig an autozone manual rack. Traded my power rack as a core. It works fine for me. But I am running skinnies up front.

Comment

Originally posted by Black10thSVT View Post
        Im runnig an autozone manual rack. Traded my power rack as a core. It works fine for me. But I am running skinnies up front.
        Price?? THinking of doing this..
        Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
        90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

You still have to find a manual knuckle to adapt the rack to the column I believe since the spline count is different. Alot of people used to get a flaming river knuckle but even it was high priced. Only other option is finding a factory non power knuckle and good luck with that.

Comment

jegs just started selling a flaming river copy thats about $100 cheaper. you might try that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
              You still have to find a manual knuckle to adapt the rack to the column I believe since the spline count is different. Alot of people used to get a flaming river knuckle but even it was high priced. Only other option is finding a factory non power knuckle and good luck with that.

Yep. I did this back in the late 90s and it was a huge PITA, and I never really did get it working to my satisfaction. I haven't looked at any of that stuff in years, so there are probably more options out there now. The most important part as stated is the spline count difference.

Comment

i just took my pump off, cut the lines and make them loop all together. so its a sealed system.

Its not correct, but i havent had any issues in the year its been done.

widest tire ive had up front was a 225 and it was still easy even with a power rack w/ no pump.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Their pretty much all the same, except the name and being polished or chromed.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                    i just took my pump off, cut the lines and make them loop all together. so its a sealed system.

widest tire ive had up front was a 225 and it was still easy even with a power rack w/ no pump.
                    WTF? Why wouldn't you just run a shorter belt and take the pump off altogether? You'd reduce some parasitic loss, to boot.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

nagger-rigged, butchered, ghetto, all come to mind.....

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                        WTF? Why wouldn't you just run a shorter belt and take the pump off altogether? You'd reduce some parasitic loss, to boot.
                        I did, there is no pump, but the line that went to it I cut and clamped it to the hose. It's temparary.

The pump started making noise and leaking so I just did away with it.

Its a simple delete I did, and the system is sealed.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                          nagger-rigged, butchered, ghetto, all come to mind.....
                          Butchered? Lol yeah because powersteering pressure lines are so valuable.

Comment

Butchered? Lol yeah because powersteering pressure lines are so valuable.
                            Wait, so you left your power steering rack in, and the lines are connected to that? Why?
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Sounds sketchy.

Comment

Working...
                              X