No announcement yet.

tire size and quarter mile logic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct. Tire size will help dial it in correct hence needing a 28in tall tire. I think holeshot gave sound advice

Comment

That's all I ever try to do !
      I've heads up, Bracket and Index raced for many years and like helping people go fast and safe.
      And if I don't know I will find out how to help.

Comment

Originally posted by holeshot View Post
        That's all I ever try to do !
        I've heads up, Bracket and Index raced for many years and like helping people go fast and safe.
        And if I don't know I will find out how to help.
        Thanks. The other responses got side tracked from the original post. And I'm not sure if doug knows that gear size and tire size can effect each other.

Comment

Read my first post. All I'm saying is that everything is besides the actual math is speculation.

Comment

I would think a 28x9 would help. If the funds are there, I would suggest getting a set of 10" rims for the back and go to a 28x10.5 tire. That tire and rim combo work very well for a very big range of horsepower and suspension levels. Guys from mid 12s down into the 7s!

I have run 26x10 ET Drags, 26x11.5 ET Streets, 275/50, 275/60/325/50 radials, 28x9 ET Drags, and 28x10.5 ET Drags. Most of them were run on 8" rims except the big drag radial and my current 28x10.5 tires. I like the current tire combo the best and it has been 1.27 sixty foots for me on the gas and is consistent on motor as well.
            Carl S.
            2014 Ruby Red Premium GT A6, stock for now
            80 Coupe, Stroked 9.2" Windsor, Yates C3, Dominator, glide, 9.60s n/a, 1.27 sixty 5.48@127.8 nitrous on radials.
            9.32@128 pedaling it half track
            sigpic

Comment

That is a fun 60 feet I bet. Got the tires already but thanks for the input. Cantwait to do some tnt

Comment

Your running through your torque band.
                Yes going to a 28" tall tire will hook better and you WILL pick up speed and E/T.
                That's BS.
                Vortex rear stand $75
                8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                11 4 door
                13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

And that's your opinion but did you read the very first posts.
                  He doesn't have much motor and he's running out of gear on the big end.
                  I'm not saying every app, just his.

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                    That's BS.
                    Which part is bs? Alsowhat is your opinion of the result of going to a 28in tall tire? Remember the main reason is trapping around 6400 with an unbuilt motor that quits making power at 6000 so my goal is to trap as close to that as possible.
                    Last edited by TEAMJACOB; 04-06-2011, 10:47 AM.

Comment

You have 3 choices:
                      Higher gear
                      Taller tire
                      Engine mods
                      Which is cheaper ?
                      Surely someone will let you try a pair of slicks to try ?

Comment

You have 3 choices:
                        Higher gear
                        Taller tire
                        Engine mods
                        Which is cheaper ?
                        Surely someone will let you try a pair of slicks to try ?
                        taller tire is cheapest. I bought some 28in tires and got them a couple days ago. just need to go tnt

Comment

I know, sometimes it makes ya scratch your head and second guess yourself, but you were on the easiest path to begin with.
                          So get em on and get it on !!!! Keep us updated !

Comment

Originally posted by TEAMJACOB View Post
                            Which part is bs? Alsowhat is your opinion of the result of going to a 28in tall tire? Remember the main reason is trapping around 6400 with an unbuilt motor that quits making power at 6000 so my goal is to trap as close to that as possible.
                            All I can tell you is that I went from a 26in tire and 430s to a 28in tire and 355s and I went the exact same et and mph. Down to the hundredth.

So switching to taller tire WILL NOT neccisarly drop your rpms.
                            Vortex rear stand $75
                            8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                            My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                            but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                            11 4 door
                            13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Working...
                            X