Got my 2012 5.0 dyno today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SonicblueGT03 View Post
    Vmptuning.com, Justin is a vendor on a forum I moderate. Tune, and Pypes muffler delete axle back (PypeBombs). That's it. I'm still planning on letting TS work their tuning magic when they install my driveshaft though.
    I'd recommend VMP, I have the VMP 500 for my Roush. Justin's canned tune was perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by bjtheman1 View Post
      I'd recommend VMP, I have the VMP 500 for my Roush. Justin's canned tune was perfect!
      He's got a knack for the new Coyote tuning, that's for sure.

Comment

For anyone that gets a mail order tune, I highly suggest taking and having it logged on a dyno to ensure its 100% right. Not trying to start a pissing match, but every car that has came to us with a mail order tune, we have improved 5-10 hp and everyone said driveability was a ton better.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
          For anyone that gets a mail order tune, I highly suggest taking and having it logged on a dyno to ensure its 100% right. Not trying to start a pissing match, but every car that has came to us with a mail order tune, we have improved 5-10 hp and everyone said driveability was a ton better.
          what about the "safety" of said canned tunes? do you guys usually have to improve that?
          2011 Mustang GT
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KungFuHamster View Post
            what about the "safety" of said canned tunes? do you guys usually have to improve that?

I would like to back up just a little and say we as a shop are not trying to call out "Can Tuners" and bash the ability of said tuners. It is not the lack of ability but the lack of them seeing the cars in a controlled environment (like a dyno/data logging). The problem is there are no two cars just alike. Some want more timing and some want alot less. Some need more fuel and others not so much. Basicly "CAN TUNES" are made as safe as possible for the masses (many cars). With "can tunes" some cars are going to leave some power on the table since they will accept a little more timing. Other cars will not only pick up power by pulling out timing (since it might have too much) but will be safer.

More than anything I would suggest "Can Tune" cars to just go to there local dyno shop and have a couple of pulls to confirm the safety of there tunes. More than most will be safe, but if they are not the price of a motor is not cheap
            My .02
            True Street MotorSports
            901 N McDonald St Suite 100
            McKinney TX 75069

Shop 972.542.9886
            Fax 972. 542.9879

Nitrous Refills $4lb

Comment

Originally posted by TrueStreetMotorSports.com View Post
              I would like to back up just a little and say we as a shop are not trying to call out "Can Tuners" and bash the ability of said tuners. It is not the lack of ability but the lack of them seeing the cars in a controlled environment (like a dyno/data logging). The problem is there are no two cars just alike. Some want more timing and some want alot less. Some need more fuel and others not so much. Basicly "CAN TUNES" are made as safe as possible for the masses (many cars). With "can tunes" some cars are going to leave some power on the table since they will accept a little more timing. Other cars will not only pick up power by pulling out timing (since it might have too much) but will be safer.

More than anything I would suggest "Can Tune" cars to just go to there local dyno shop and have a couple of pulls to confirm the safety of there tunes. More than most will be safe, but if they are not the price of a motor is not cheap
              My .02
              its been my experience that every mustang ive owned liked less timing than most. lol. as for fuel...my car is definitely rich...but not overpowering (gas pouring out the tailpipes).

how much would it cost to confirm the safety of my canned tune? you can pm me a price if you wish.
              2011 Mustang GT
              sigpic

Comment

its been my experience that every mustang ive owned liked less timing than most. lol. as for fuel...my car is definitely rich...but not overpowering (gas pouring out the tailpipes).

how much would it cost to confirm the safety of my canned tune? you can pm me a price if you wish.
                we charge $80 for 3 pulls.
                True Street MotorSports
                901 N McDonald St Suite 100
                McKinney TX 75069

Shop 972.542.9886
                Fax 972. 542.9879

Nitrous Refills $4lb

Comment

Good advice. Never trust a canned tune on face value, even from a reputable shop. Always have it verified, datalog it yourself at the very least, or preferably, get it to a local shop you trust and put it on the dyno. There are several trustworthy tuners out there, but there are equally as many who should never be allowed to tune, ever. Better safe than sorry.

And again, as soon as I'm back on my feet after that damn surgery, my car will be making the trip to TS for a "real" tune, and to have a few new parts installed.

Comment

They are typically safe tunes. The biggest gain comes from adding more timing. As mentio.ed no 2 cars are the same, one car might like 30 degrees of timing but the next might only want 28. As said, if you have a cann tune Id recommend having it dynoed to verify its acciracy, and most places will make any change needed to make it perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
                      They are typically safe tunes. The biggest gain comes from adding more timing. As mentio.ed no 2 cars are the same, one car might like 30 degrees of timing but the next might only want 28. As said, if you have a cann tune Id recommend having it dynoed to verify its acciracy, and most places will make any change needed to make it perfect.
                      if i bring my car up there and have it "verified" you guys will check where the timings set as well as the air/fuel? or just air/fuel on the dyno? or will a timing alteration only occur during an actual dyno tuning session?
                      2011 Mustang GT
                      sigpic

Comment

We can do a log, that will let us know afr, timing, etc. Give us a call tomorrow, we are open 10-6!

Toby

Comment

Yeah, I have never understood people using canned tunes. At the very least you should find a reputable tuner that can remote tune off of data-logging done by the car owner. Like what was stated above, no two cars are alike even if they do have the same mods. Make the investment in the time and money to have something custom tailored to your vehicle. It'll save you money, time, and heartache in the long-run.

I'm currently planning on purchasing an SCT iTSX so that I can use the iOS app to data-log as well as have a custom tune done.
                          2011 Mustang GT - California Special - Black/Black - M6 - 3.73's

Mods: Roush CAI, GT500 Cat-Back Exhaust, Spohn Performance Lower Control Arms

Comment

If you don't want the iTSX - all SCT devices are capable of data logging for free with a laptop and USB cable

Comment

Working...
                            X