67 nova rear end question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 67 nova rear end question

will a late model explorer 8.8 fit into a 67 nova with minimal fab work. perches ect. and if the spelling jack up Tuff
    2009 Mustang GT
    1972 Country Squire

From just doing a search for some pics it looks like the nova spring perches are on the bottom of the axle tube, and the explorer perches are on the top. Looks like it'd be an easy swap to me if the 8.8 is pretty close to the overall length you're needing.

Comment

why thank you. pretty cool this morning. have your fresh cup of retirement and coffee yet?
      2009 Mustang GT
      1972 Country Squire

Comment

Check the width. From what I remember, the factory rear end in my friends '67 Nova was narrower than a fox body 8.8

Comment

Greg, I dont think it will work (at least not in 'stock' form) for a couple of reasons.

1)I think the explorer rear is much too wide (it's what's in my S10, and I had to narrow it even for that)

2) The pinion offset is pretty severe - I think like, 2 15/16" or so.

Now, if you can do what I did to my truck - I used two explorer short side axles. Narrowed the rear end to match, and it brings the pinion center within 1/4".

Comment

A few of us "working" today had a discusion on a cheap why to up grade. You know us LM employees are tight on money.
            2009 Mustang GT
            1972 Country Squire

Comment

Originally posted by slowbrick2 View Post
              A few of us "working" today had a discusion on a cheap why to up grade. You know us LM employees are tight on money.
              shiiit... If I had ya'lls money, I'd throw mine away!

Comment

Originally posted by slowbrick2 View Post
                why thank you. pretty cool this morning. have your fresh cup of retirement and coffee yet?
                Yep coffee in hand, heading to the garage as soon as the heater warms it up a little in there This retirement is better than I ever dreamed it would be

Comment

Working...
                X