Any Machinists here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is what I'm wanting for the Camaro

if it could be done in two pieces that would be awesome. If I need to create the center piece, no big deal. I'll do a little research this weekend, and talk to some of the guys running these wheels on the camaro and see what the back spacing and measurements are. I'll have to pull out the model to see what will actually fit in the rear with the current axle length and estimate that because the brakes aren't done yet....
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

How do you come up with the proper measurements for this stuff?

Comment

Lol. I just dug this up out of a progress thread on another forum. Typically I scale down 1:1 peices. Just take the measurement of the real thing and divide by 12. or whatever scale you are working in. Sometimes some adjustments need to be made for proportion so it "looks" correct. Sometimes that is more important than an accurate scale piece, especially when working with a "kit" and not making your own work 100% from scratch. I'm thinking staggered 18/19 combo. I'll need to re-check these dimensions before I say they are correct. Are wheels measured on the ID of the wheel or the wheel face, or are they measured from lip diameter

Comment

For now, yes - the center piece would have to be done.

The outter part, the ring, would be easy - we could make it a press fit and make a small two piece jig to assemble with. Put the ring over a "stop" and then press the inner into the ring till it stops. That way, the rears will be identical to each other - as will the fronts.

Comment

not 100% sure I follow you on the 2 piece jig. When I first envisioned this, basically a drum, the edges have a radius to look like wheels and a lip inside the wheel, like a stop, for the center to rest on/be affixed to. Would you rather have a wheel center to work with or a dimension to machine the wheel "hoops" to? I'm also not opposed to waiting for a full cnc piece, and it wouldn't have to necessarily be 4 complete centers. I could use one, and pour a silicone mold and cast resin centers, as I plan to do them in a gunmetal color anyway.

ninja edit. I guess I would need 2 centers if fully machined if I wanted an 18/19 stagger.

Comment

The 2 piece jig is just for assembly - The inner piece would have to be a press fit, or close to it - maybe glued in place, I'm not sure.

If it's glued - youd take the hoop and set it on, say, a table. Inside the hoop would be a bottle cap shaped stub. That would be the stop. You'd put the glue or whatever on the center piece and set it in place with the "bottle cap" holding it up to the proper height.

If it's a press fit - you'd use the 'bottle cap' to stop the press from pushing the wheel center too far.

It sounds like the wheel center may be too delicate to be a press fit - so glueing it would most likely be the best bet.

Comment

I gotcha. What about a ring that could be pressed in, then the center attached to that?

Comment

Either way will work, it's just another part that may or may not need to be there.

For that matter, the hoop could have a lip machined into it - then there would be no need for the press etc.

Comment

Man, I'm getting all kinds of excited. Any idea what the cost will be? I've been trying to get this done for......wow, started the project in 2005, almost 6 years....

Comment

That's some complicated maching. I'd think after spending that much time on something like that you'd want to be careful with a force or press fit. Maybe bond or set screw in Place. This wheel will be less that 2" in diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                        Man, I'm getting all kinds of excited. Any idea what the cost will be? I've been trying to get this done for......wow, started the project in 2005, almost 6 years....
                        No idea honestly.. I'd have to sit down and see how long it takes. PM me on a time frame, etc.. and we'll talk about it from there.

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                        That's some complicated maching. I'd think after spending that much time on something like that you'd want to be careful with a force or press fit. Maybe bond or set screw in Place. This wheel will be less that 2" in diameter.
                        When I say press fit, I mean like .0005 or so - which for aluminum is VERY minute. It'll work, I've done it with MUCH more expensive stuff besides a model car wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                          No idea honestly.. I'd have to sit down and see how long it takes. PM me on a time frame, etc.. and we'll talk about it from there.

When I say press fit, I mean like .0005 or so - which for aluminum is VERY minute. It'll work, I've done it with MUCH more expensive stuff besides a model car wheel.
                          I see...I always design interference fits based on dimensions and materials used, but for 2 pieces of probably 6061 at that diameter, .0005 shouldn't be too big a worry. You also know your capabilities way better than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            I see...I always design interference fits based on dimensions and materials used, but for 2 pieces of probably 6061 at that diameter, .0005 shouldn't be too big a worry. You also know your capabilities way better than me.
                            Actually.. with no more "stress" than a model car wheel is what I should have said. If it's something that gets some kind of abuse, I don't think it would last long @ only .0005 or so..

nonetheless, it would be a cool project.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the "wheel" that a friend attempted. This was 4 years ago or so. He worked at Flowserve in Sulphur Springs. All I wanted was the outer "sleeves" but he didn't quite understand what I was asking and he attempted to machine the whole wheel, as you can see, it didn't quite work. However, the outer dimension seems to be the appropriate size for scale proportion. It scales out to a 21" wheel, but I've learned that with these things, you've got to go a bit bigger for them to look right in proportion. My first attempt at a wheel center, which is a 5 spoke design, comes in at 41 cm which is just over a 19" center in scale. So, if I went with the same size front and rear, OD of the wheel sleeve would be 44.5 mm and ID would be 41 mm. Sorry, my digital calipers are dead and the visual marks are poor. I'll get a new battery and re-measure, but this gives you a rough idea. Here are some pics of what I've got.

Here you can see the step in the center that I asked for, and of course, the failed attempt at fully machining the wheel. The 5 spoke wheel center is also laying there, the bolt pattern is off.

Here is a front view, he attempted to radius the front a little. There is also a little lip in the back, which is nice, gives me something to press the "tire" up against

Full front view with the "tire" mounted

3/4 view

Comment

Working...
                              X