Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What safety equipment is required for 6.5's in the 1/8th?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What safety equipment is required for 6.5's in the 1/8th?

I normally go out to Texas Raceway and they seem to be pretty relaxed about safety equipment. I just got my coupe together and took it out to Kennedale for it's second time to the track and was told I need a fire jacket after I ran 7.1. Not a problem, I'll buy one.

Then the track official said if I go faster then 6.5 (which isn't going to happen anytime soon, but definitely will be happening), he said I'll need a parachute! I went on NHRA's website and looked at their requirements and it starts getting a little extreme the faster you go, SFI balancers, flexplates, bellhousings, trans shields, certified roll cages, competition licenses, etc.

So, to be okay to race around here (i.e. Texas Raceway, Denton, Redline, Dallas Raceway) what do you need to be able to run 6.5 or a little faster without being kicked off the track.

I currently have a 10 point cage (non-certified), aftermarket axles, larger studs/open lug nuts, racing harnesses (out of date), driveshaft loop, kill switch through the rear of the car, helmet, and going to buy a fire jacket. I thought it was overkill until I read the NHRA handbook.

I ran 5.30's in my truck at k-dale with no parachute. With that said I think its 5.50 or faster in the 1/8 mile but it also depends on your mph. I would think with the stuff you have already you should be fine. Just get you jacket and maybe some gloves. I would get a kick out of seeing a car run mid 6's and pull a chute.
    Last edited by fastfullsize; 06-22-2011, 10:52 AM.

Comment

6.5 and chute lol!

Comment

Trust me, I was thinking WTF? I never have problem making the first turn around, but after the guy said that I started wondering what all is required.

Comment

Get the chassis certified and a competition license, they'll leave you alone until you bust off a 4.xx. I think the rule is 135+ mph in the 1/8 = chute.

Comment

We have ran 135+ in the 1/8th at kdale many times and never had a problem with the car not having a parachute. I have one but I just haven't quite got around to putting it on.
            2004 Cobra
            www.boostedgt.com
            www.teamzmotorsports.net

Comment

My car being a convertible is even worse... currently running 7.0's @ 103 in the 1/8th. I think I'm supposed to have a 10-pt or something since it's a vert... which ain't gonna happen unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by BoostedGT View Post
                We have ran 135+ in the 1/8th at kdale many times and never had a problem with the car not having a parachute. I have one but I just haven't quite got around to putting it on.

I don't think you have it anymore!

Comment

The rules are something like:

Helmet @ 8.49 and faster
                  +Jacket & drive shaft loop at 7.99 or 7.49
                  +roll bar @ 6.99 or faster
                  +roll cage and suit @ 6.39 or faster

I'm not sure about the 1/8 mile rules on a chute, but in the quarter it's or was 150MPH. Like Chris said above, we've all been well into the 130's and approaching 140 and have yet to 'need' a chute, but it's NOT a bad idea to have one.

It's in your best interest to have all of those things regardless, which your car does from what I remember (minus the chute and some of the SFI stuff)

As far as the SFI stuff, you won't get much tech on that around here unless it's at a national event. Most of the time in tech, they check to see if you have the cage, jacket/suit/gloves/helmet, and some of the minor stuff like open end lug nuts, metal valve stems, properly mounted batteries, coolant overlfow, and throttle return springs. If your car is obviously 'fast' they'll hit you harder.. which they should.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post

Helmet @ 8.49 and faster

I'm not sure about the 1/8 mile rules on a chute, but in the quarter it's or was 150MPH. Like Chris said above, we've all been well into the 130's and approaching 140 and have yet to 'need' a chute, but it's NOT a bad idea to have one.

It's in your best interest to have all of those things regardless, which your car does from what I remember (minus the chute and some of the SFI stuff)

As far as the SFI stuff, you won't get much tech on that around here unless it's at a national event. Most of the time in tech, they check to see if you have the cage, jacket/suit/gloves/helmet, and some of the minor stuff like open end lug nuts, metal valve stems, properly mounted batteries, coolant overlfow, and throttle return springs. If your car is obviously 'fast' they'll hit you harder.. which they should.

Perfect, this is what I needed to know. I'd feel goofy not being "fast" and having a chute! Maybe one day, although I am not sure how well I'd be received by law enforcement driving a car with a chute out the back down the highway. Were you able to get in touch with fast408 about those radials? Trying to find a set of Strange shocks to swap out the Lakewoods with, which model is are the cheap ones?

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                      Perfect, this is what I needed to know. I'd feel goofy not being "fast" and having a chute! Maybe one day, although I am not sure how well I'd be received by law enforcement driving a car with a chute out the back down the highway. Were you able to get in touch with fast408 about those radials? Trying to find a set of Strange shocks to swap out the Lakewoods with, which model is are the cheap ones?
                      Look on Wolfe's site. They have the rear Strange shocks and are cheap and usually in stock

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                        How awesome would it be to pop the chute to slow down when he pulled you over, lol.
                        Originally posted by Nash B.
                        Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                          How awesome would it be to pop the chute to slow down when he pulled you over, lol.
                          I woe love to see the dash cam and response to what. Cop goes WTF
                          99 Mustang Project JSTA2V
                          going from really slow to just alittle slow

2013 Focus ST the daily cruising the 4 banger

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post

Helmet @ 8.49 and faster

I thought the roll bar was required at 7.49 or faster. Have they changed the rules on that?
                            1990 GT

Comment

Originally posted by F8LSVT View Post
                              I thought the roll bar was required at 7.49 or faster. Have they changed the rules on that?
                              I think it's always been like that, but I could be mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                              X