Our trip to FFW....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our trip to FFW....

I think it's safe to say that this is the worst track surface I have ever set foot on.

We haven't touched the tune in the car since the last time out, which it went 5.2x@142 on 275's with (in the middle of July with 100* heat.). ALL we did was put 325 (read: much bigger) radials on it and left it completely untouched.

The first pass, the car went out ~45' and smoked the tires. huh?? We had to BEG to get this ONE pass in. When we asked about the rules during the T/S drivers meeting - the nitrous cars could put bottles in the trunk, but we couldn't put ice in? I was reasonably sure this was allowed 3 years back (I thought we did last time, but I later remembered we ran NMRA last year). I don't really understand that one, but whatever. We just elected to NOT run in that class for a whopping 250$.

Instead, we changed over to 'fast ford' - which is a bracket class...which is against my religion as it is. Either way, we needed to make passes. I turned the boost ramps WAY back, but it spun the tires as soon as the trans brake button was released. I mean, IMMEDIATELY... that was turned DOWN from the first pass where it went roughly 45'. That essentially put us out of that class since it was 'first round'.

Later we came back for what would be our last pass - and turned it down even further. It spun the tires from the hit again. yay.

I watched a dozen or so bracket cars with BIG slicks spin the tires to the point of having to pedal and/or steer.

I watched one of the starting line guys spray VHT from what appeared to be a water hose. He tried to hit the cut off valve, after he had dropped the hose, and it continued to spill.. he finally got it under control. There was literally a 'puddle' of VHT of which he hit with a mop and spread around some.. the next car smoked the tires.

I can't say that I'm going to go back next time around.

A very poor excuse for a track of that caliber and from what I've heard this is a piss poor organization to host racing events. I don't blame you guys for not going back.

Comment

This is why i will not go to Ennis.
      Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Sorry about the trouble you guys were having . Sucks to get no good runs after driving that far .
        Big Rooster Racing

Comment

wow. i had a great time, for once, eric and crew will have my repeat business.

Comment

Yup. Last time I was out there my stock NPI was spinning like hell. Track prep is awful.

Comment

Guess I got there after your runs Brooks
              Did get to see a nasty Turno Notch spinning tires crazy
              Did you add Flames to the front?
              Last edited by robert; 09-09-2012, 12:10 AM.

Comment

damn that sucks, all that time to just blow the tires off
                81 LX
                82 GT

Comment

My dad is in the hospital and I am saving money for the NHRA event, so I could not make it. Looks like I did not miss much.

Comment

Wasn't there a guy on here a month ago talking about how he was going to make
                    Ennis track prep bad ass? This event not count or where they not allowed to prep it?

Comment

Wow!! What a waste of such a nice day to be racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Thumper View Post
                        Wasn't there a guy on here a month ago talking about how he was going to make
                        Ennis track prep bad ass? This event not count or whe re they not allowed to prep it?
                        nothing against brooks and crew, but there were many people there including myself running new on motor and on power adders. now we dont have 1000+rwhp cars, and i dont know about the ice thing being legit for the true street class. but i think this years FFW was MUCH BETTER than the last couple of years. maybe it wasnt perfect but it sure was a step in the right direction, and the payouts were low because of the low entry prices. HELL spectating was a measly 10bux! i raced all day for $30!! if more people come next year im sure they can afford to make it better, but damn there was only 10 people in true street!!!! that says it all folks.... low attendance =low results.

how do you think kdale would treat us if we only brought 25cars for one of the fall/summer cruises???? just a though

Comment

fun ford has been a joke for a long time. Now i will say racing all day for 30 bucks is worth it.

They still have the swap meet and vendors and such. The last one i went too was so bad that i never went back. that was like 2003ish.

Comment

Steve, you don't get good reviews and higher future attendance by shitty track prep and low prices.

Most of the 'big boys' won't show up simply because of years past. If they want those types to come back, they have to build it back up with payouts, track prep, etc. - Regardless of profits and gains. You have to lose some now, to gain a little in the future - that's how these crowds work.

The new best passes are certainly not due to track prep, I can assure you. There were bald spots that were nearly 2' in diameter. I stayed and watched to see if they'd do anything about them......nadda. Those good passes might have something to do with the perfect weather. Hell, your car only has a few weeks on it, right - I'd expect to see improvements every week for a month or so, especially in good weather. Your first few motor passes it spun for 30'.

....for a multi million dollar facility, I'd expect to see multi-million dollar style prep. Maybe not something you'd see on a national event level, but shit - at least something worth running down.

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
                              Guess I got there after your runs Brooks
                              Did get to see a nasty Turno Notch spinning tires crazy
                              Did you add Flames to the front?
                              Nope, that's Tony's car (fast408). That's the one we were working on.

Comment

Working...
                              X