Thoughts on Devos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
    Putting aside ideology, school choice, and grizzly bears. I watched her confirmation hearings and she came across as an idiot. DeVos was unfamiliar with the bulk of issues confronting our education system. She has zero knowledge of the actual law.

It's not like the Democrats on the committee were asking here hard ball questions either.

I like most of Trump's appointments but this girl has no business trying to run the Dept of Education.
    Well the department is unconstitutional so......

And the Republicans just introduced a bill to disband it.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
      Putting aside ideology, school choice, and grizzly bears. I watched her confirmation hearings and she came across as an idiot. DeVos was unfamiliar with the bulk of issues confronting our education system. She has zero knowledge of the actual law.

It's not like the Democrats on the committee were asking here hard ball questions either.

I like most of Trump's appointments but this girl has no business trying to run the Dept of Education.
      she could have passed those interviews with flying colors simply by saying yes. i'm not sure why she kept on with the 'plead the 5th' tactic of not answering anything.
      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Are We Not Men? We Are Devo(s)!
        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
          Well the department is unconstitutional so......

And the Republicans just introduced a bill to disband it.
          That's been a major part of the republican platform since the Reagan campaign. Personally I do think there are probably better candidates but it doesn't matter what I think. The senates job was to prove she wasn't worthy of the position and they couldn't do it so she's in charge.

Can anyone actually name a previous secretary of education without googling it?

I can't wait to see what the media says about the treasury secretary.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post

I can't wait to see what the media says about the treasury secretary.
            At the very least he's qualified for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
              The educators say she is unqualified, but it appears to me that the state of education is dogshit. Kids are dumber, focused on just passing tests, and common-core is fucked. So if she is unqualified to carry the common core torch, she may be fine.

Meanwhile, I'm just over here shaking my head at the people freaking out about Trump doing what Trump said he'd do.
              This is basically how I feel

I also may be the minority on this but I feel that you dont necessarily need to have experience in education to lead the department. She needs to understand financials and how to lead people. She will have thousands of employees (assuming thousands) to lead. Those people need to know the law. Those people need to know the problems and offer solutions.

Comment

Thought this thread was about my favorite GOT character

Comment

Agreed. We're choosing someone to implement a philosophy and provide leadership. This person isn't going to be going to individual schools and running anything.

That said, DeVos is a moron. I'm unimpressed with the pick. But based on 30 years of evidence, the prior administrations' DoE were run by morons too. We will just see how it goes. I am all for anything that improves education and lowers costs. I'm prepared to listen to anyone that says they can do that.

The last thing I want is another pocket picking Democrat saying there isn't enough money in education, getting the money, and then not being grilled over abysmal results.

Scott, I see ya buddy---

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

all the reading i have done on her show only a couple of negatives. i like that she is pro charter and vouchers . inner city schools are a joke. now the answer is always throw more money at it . i really would like to see the doe go away. we have enough problems with the star test bullshit .

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                      *than
                      *they
                      *policies
                      *give
                      Smart phone in full sunlight. I can not see what I am typing and have not figured out how to keep this phone from changing what I type.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                        Smart phone in full sunlight. I can not see what I am typing and have not figured out how to keep this phone from changing what I type.
                        Politely, yet firmly tell it "No!".

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post

Scott, I see ya buddy---

I should hope so. I whipped it. Whipped it good.
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

We have one of the most inefficient education systems in the world, throw a ton of money at it (especially to the worthless teachers unions) and are ranked higher than 20th. Something needed to change, not sure what the exact plans are so we will see.

Best thing that could happen is they disband it but good luck doing that.

Comment

Yes my son goes to LHHS. Honestly public education is worse than ever. Teaching my son how to study, read more and figure things out for his self has been interesting. He lived with his mother for 9 years after our divorce and barely passed each year. He now makes all As and Bs, but I'm not sure he understands that a public education is at best the bare minimum these days. I wish instead of paying his mom child support, the funds could've been spent on private school.

He will start college next year and we will see how that works out. I need to get him lined up for his first class this summer when I get back from this trip.

The DOE should be dismantled and education left up to the individual states like many things. I don't need my kids educated to the same lowest common denominator as the liberal infested inner city shitholes. I pay for, deserve and expect better. It makes zero difference who the Sec of Education is. The system is totally F'd beyond repair. It's a termite infested tear down and rebuild.

My company literally cannot find enough educated US born workers now. The DOE is the why.

Comment

LHHS, huh? That's too bad. That was a good school in a great neighborhood.

Comment

Working...
                                X