School me on projectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by futant View Post
    ok if you really know shit , then what are you hiding ?

so you guys are trying to imply that professionals never pop bulbs ?
    The only way you can do that is by buying the most expensive bulbs generally speaking.
    So how the fuck does that answer the ops question? Only companies that use these daily want to buy the premium priced bulbs, and don't give a shit how long they last. If the bulb works they almost all last the same IME.
    Until they can make bulbs that last 4X as long, im not willing to pay the highest price for a bulb. No such bulbs exist that last long.
    Sometimes they pop , sometimes they dont. You can't change that and neither can the bulb makers apparently.

All you guys are trying to do is support all the pros, without looking at the numerous CONS of projectors. There are plenty

my projector was 5000 lumens which you could have found out yourself since i posted the model i used earlier.

Where was that refute about the cost of replaceing bulbs? oh what do know more eerie silence from you guys acting like projectors are so awesome.
    I haven't given up my projector yet, I've just learned to live around all the CONS that exist without ignoring them and spending all my hard earned money on bulbs.

IT's 10X easier to just buy an LCD ! once LCD's become 100" or more, projectors are fucking retarded archaic pieces of shit.
    That day is coming sooner that you think, so you might want to find a new job soon if that's what you do

I'm not hiding anything.

Lets start off by saying you didn't know for sure what your projector model was, you also indicated you thought you had a 10,000 lumen projector. I didn't claim you didn't, I simply let you know that if you did, it would be a very expensive piece of equipment.

Until 100"+ LCDs become readily available and not $50k+, the ONLY option you have for anything bigger than an 92" DLP is a projector .... for now, which is what we're talking about, not the future.

Projectors require maintenance, surely this wasn't a surprise to you when you bought yours. There is a cost associated with that maintenance. Your car requires maintenance too, I guess you would hate cars if your stupid wife (your words, not mine) didn't ever change the oil and it just stopped running and caused damage to the motor or if your stupid wife (should have never opened that door BTW) just kept driving on bald tires and had a blowout. Obviously you're not that much smarter than her if you didn't clean the filter either.

Bulbs burn out, it's just what they do. Buy a new bulb around the time you are supposed to, clean the filter twice a year, unless you live in a dusty shithole (not implying anything), and you'll be fine. If you seriously can't do that, you don't need a projector. Don't blame the technology for your laziness and neglect.

I've personally installed hundreds of projectors over the last ~12 years. I have literally never fielded a call asking for a service return to clean out broken glass from a busted bulb. I am NOT saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying it doesn't happen regularly. Again, laziness and neglect is most likely the culprit. I have talked to several "pros" in my office and they have had a few calls to clean out a busted bulb or two, but bear in mind that there is several decades of experience in my office.

You do need to have a fairly dark room to truly experience the technology of a projector. I've never been to a Tinseltown where they left the lights up during the movie. Not all rooms or homes are equipped with a room worth putting a projector in, since OP really hasn't touched too much on that, it's really difficult to say if his home is even going to work or not. However, room lighting level was mentioned very early in the thread.

Most bulbs are rated at roughly 2000 hours, conservatively. I'm not that good at math, but you should be able to watch your awesome 100"+ screen (hopefully not projected onto a textured wall) for a little over 5 hours a day, for a year. If you take the cost of a new bulb into consideration, that would be around $20 a month given a bulb cost of $250. Maybe you should ponder a new hobby?

Does that about cover it?

I got 99 problems but a bulb ain't one.

Comment

One last thing. I'm not concerned at all with job security. We sell quite a few LCDs too.

Comment

yeah that pretty much covers it.
        you had nothing to refute what i said.

there really is no comparison, projectors are a PITA and they costs a lot depending on your usage.

So then why did you take on an attitude like I was making ALL THIS SHIT UP ?
        then say it's all true or very close to the truth ?

oh and the reason the filter wasn't clean properly by my wife is because we were doing drywall work and she forgot to after i told her.
        Dude i know how to maintain my shit. The problem is a fucking tv shouldn't have to be maintained to the n'th degree, or bam a 250$ bulb pops.

That is why they are just fucking archaic by today's standards. If they fixed the bulb problems and they lasted long plus had a better ability to filter for a longer intervals (2x a year is not enough for mine i assure you ,more like 6 times a year)
        that would be one thing.
        It's one thing to maintain a car..... not the same standard for electronics in general.

having said that I have enjoyed my projector, but they just don't seem pratical vs the competition. unless you have to have over 65" or so .... then maybe only if you 'project' a future costs of bulbs combined with the price of purchase.
        That is the bottom line.

Comment

you: lamps are expensive
          me: $20 a month

you: lamps explode all the time
          me: no they don't

you: the room needs to be dark
          me: it's a fancy flashlight, of course the room needs to be dark... similar to a theater

you: difficult to install
          me: I tend to agree that is difficult to install properly although it only has to be installed once, and I think it's well worth it

In closing I'd like to say that believe it or not, projector technology as well as lamp life has advanced since 2004, the year your projector was manufactured. For example, my projector lamp is rated at 3000 hours in standard and 6000 hours on eco mode, which is roughly a 20% loss in lumen output (from a measly 3000 lumen) and the filter is rated at 5000 hours. It even reminds me when it needs changed with an onscreen message and sends an email, you know, just in case I forget.

THAT is the bottom line.

Comment

well that pretty much sums it up.
            not much to disagree with that i haven't already said

I would be happier if eco mode delivered any where near 6000 hours.
            That isn't too bad if it really goes that long in the real world.

I do like the notifications about filter cleaning too. That would be handy, especially if it would stop you from using it. (thinking wife or other ppl, you know the 99.9% of people that don't maintain a glorified TV)

Comment

I've owned projectors for a long time, my Optoma HD70 just went out - color wheel. Generally they will list 2-3 bulbs before the unit itself goes out. At least, that's my experience. It is definitely an expensive endeavor but it sure is nice having a 10 foot screen.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
              X