Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok car audio nuts here is another one for you..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok car audio nuts here is another one for you..

After I finished my install in my jeep where I upgraded the head unit, added a nice 4ch amp to power a new set of components and coax to the already existing 8" sub and amp that I had previously added to the stock setup. I have found the 8" kicker L7 sub to not be up to the task of keeping up with the rest of my new setup. It sounds good and gets loud but I feel that I am wanting a little more. SO... I am looking at a pair of JL audio 10W6V3 subs and one of the newer slash V3 JL audio 600/1 amps to push them. Here is my question... From looking at the amp specs on the JL site it shows to be 1.5, 2, 3, and 4 ohm stable and put out the same 600w at all ohm loads. if I wanted to wire the pair of 4 ohm subs that are also DVC subs to this one amp how would I go about that?

BUILD STARTS ON Pg. 3
    Last edited by inline 6; 09-02-2013, 04:49 PM.

Your only option is to wire it in 4ohm.

Personally I'd go for an amp that is 1 ohm stable so you could wire them all in parallel for a 1 ohm load. You'd get more performance per dollar spent.

Comment

They do not offer that particular sub in anything but a 4ohm rating. I thought it was weird that the amp dropped down to only a 1.5ohm load. The amp literature states that it is putting out 600w RMS at all ohm loads. I do not think I have ever seen a rating like this before. It always seems to me that the lower ohm load is on the amp the more power the amp is pushing. It is a JL product so I do not doubt their claims but I do not know enough about the topic to explain how they accomplish it.

Comment

First of all, that sub should be plenty. The L7 is known for being very "bassy" compared to other round type subs. What is your box set up?

I went from a sealed box to a ported box tuned to 36Hz and it made a world of difference. It sounds MUCH bigger than some 8s.
        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
          First of all, that sub should be plenty. The L7 is known for being very "bassy" compared to other round type subs. What is your box set up?

I went from a sealed box to a ported box tuned to 36Hz and it made a world of difference. It sounds MUCH bigger than some 8s.
          If it is a prefab box, that is most likely your issue. Build a tuned ported enclosure and save some money. If you want to switch speakers and save some room/weight, look at the JL 10w6's.

Whatever you do, make sure you implement an enclosure tailored to the sub's needs not the requirements of the vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
            I thought it was weird that the amp dropped down to only a 1.5ohm load. The amp literature states that it is putting out 600w RMS at all ohm loads. I do not think I have ever seen a rating like this before. It always seems to me that the lower ohm load is on the amp the more power the amp is pushing. It is a JL product so I do not doubt their claims but I do not know enough about the topic to explain how they accomplish it.
            The power supply is regulated based on the speaker imepdance. If it sees a 2 ohm load it drops the voltage down to keep the output at 600 watts. Conversely they'll jack the voltage up to compensate for higher impedance speakers.

Comment

My box is not prefab. I built it myself out of 3/4 MDF and did a pretty darn good job on it. Dont get me wrong. It does sound good but I know that a pair of 10w6v3 subs are going to crush it in a 2dr jeep.

Comment

My box is not prefab. I built it myself out of 3/4 MDF and did a pretty darn good job on it. Dont get me wrong. It does sound good but I know that a pair of 10w6v3 subs are going to crush it in a 2dr jeep.
                Is it matched to the specs of that L7? Or did you build a box to fit in a certain space? I would venture to say that you could rebuild the box with proper air space utilizing a tuned port and you won't have a desire to buy new woofers

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                  Is it matched to the specs of that L7? Or did you build a box to fit in a certain space? I would venture to say that you could rebuild the box with proper air space utilizing a tuned port and you won't have a desire to buy new woofers

I built it to fit a space and to the proper specs that the woofer wanted. I was not limited in all dimensions for the construction of it. It is also a sealed enclosure not ported. With the way I build boxes I put a lot of time and effort into them. If I were to make another box I would have to do it for another setup. I just cant justify doing what I did again only to possibly not be satisfied. I would have to guarantee my satisfaction.

Comment

pay for the wood and beer and i could build it
                    QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
                      pay for the wood and beer and i could build it
                      that offer open to others?
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I built it to fit a space and to the proper specs that the woofer wanted. I was not limited in all dimensions for the construction of it. It is also a sealed enclosure not ported. With the way I build boxes I put a lot of time and effort into them. If I were to make another box I would have to do it for another setup. I just cant justify doing what I did again only to possibly not be satisfied. I would have to guarantee my satisfaction.
                        Cool. I didn't mean to imply you didn't know what you were doing! I hope I didn't come across that way. I see a lot of people just build a box. Though the construction method was solid, the specs were crap. I would almost guarantee with a ported enclosure you would be satisfied. Though I get where you are coming from potentially doing it twice and not being satisfied

Comment

I would say going ported would make it twice as loud. You would be impressed, 8's have come a long way. Throw together a cheap test box ported to a tune you like and see if it'll work. A 1 cube box doesn't take much wood.
                          Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                            Cool. I didn't mean to imply you didn't know what you were doing! I hope I didn't come across that way. I see a lot of people just build a box. Though the construction method was solid, the specs were crap. I would almost guarantee with a ported enclosure you would be satisfied. Though I get where you are coming from potentially doing it twice and not being satisfied

It's ok I didn't take it like that. You never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                              I would say going ported would make it twice as loud. You would be impressed, 8's have come a long way. Throw together a cheap test box ported to a tune you like and see if it'll work. A 1 cube box doesn't take much wood.
                              What gets me is that I already have it running in a sealed enclosure with over half a cube of space. The specs called for a sealed enclosure of between .33 to .80 cuft. That is for one 8" driver. These jl audio 10w6v3 drivers are designed ti only need .55 of a cube after driver displacement to run well. So it's like I'm looking at building around a 1 cubic foot box for one 8" sub or a pair of subs I know will out perform what I have. If I build and place a box with that kind of air space I already know what it will look like and I will have to change the shape and will be sacrificing alot of the very limited cargo room that a 2 dr jeep has to begin with. With that being said there is no way I am going to do that unless the outcome is going to not just satisfy me but blow my expectations away.

Comment

Working...
                              X